1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator or broody hens wich is best

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mama dixie, Mar 27, 2012.

1. mama dixie

mama dixie Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 11, 2011
    ok so I got an incubator and now we are so broke, like we all are right, I am thinking I should take it back so I can get suplied for the birds we have, I have many good broodie hens and may just let some of them try to hatch the eggs I ordered. what do you all think are broodies as good as an incubator? I had wanted to do a shcool project with the kids at my sons school becuse we got such a good deal on the incubator i got the incubator and the turner for under 80.00

should I take it back?

2. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    anyone got any input about broodies vs incubator?

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Do you have hens that are broody right now? As in, are they currently setting? If so, for how long? If you don't have any that are broody now, you definitely should go with using the incubator if you can afford to keep it. By ordering eggs, you have chosen when you want them incubated. When you rely on a broody, you have to wait until she's ready to set. You are the only one who knows your finances well enough to know whether or not you should keep the incubator. If you plan on hatching out even one batch a year and want to do it on your time, it's a good investment, and $80 is a good price. As far as broody vs. incubator for hatching, I think the broody does a better job of it. The temperature and humidity are just right, the eggs get turned, and you don't have to do any of the work. She's doing what God intended for her to do. The advantage of the incubator is, as I've already stated, that you can schedule your hatch for your convenience.

4. mama dixie

Aug 11, 2011
    I took back the bator and was so sad but I knew I had to get chcicken suplies for what we have now. when I got home the hen dark beard, had gone very broodie she had been setting for three days in the rabit hutch. I put food and water in with her and closed the door. she is as happy as a clam, if clams are happy I do not know but she is :) two days later I got the eggs we ordered. I put them under her and she took right to them. God provides for us and I sometimes think I should be more trusting. thank you for the feedback and thank you to God for loving and providing as he does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by