Incubator or silkie

Goneloopychooks

In the Brooder
5 Years
Mar 16, 2014
Hi guys I was wondering,I do not have the time to check humidity,temperature and progress of the eggs but the kids still want to have day old chicks.
My twelve year old came up with a solution, that she said could work for us.
She said"We could get a silkie they have excellent mothering skills,frequently broody and plus are top children pets"
Is this right, and would the silkie be able to live on her own why she hatches the babies as we would have no other chooks until the chicks hatch.
Or do we need two silkie's?
cheers
wee.gif

Brittany
wink.png

Last edited:
Get an incubator if you plan on hatching down the road. Just because silkies are known to be broody doesn't mean that they will. But what's stopping you from just getting some anyways? I personally would go incubator.

I have both, and I use both
smile.png

And Twistedfeather is right, not all Silkie hens go broody. Not too mention, hens don't seem to want to be broody when you need them to be. Good luck!

Get an incubator if you plan on hatching down the road. Just because silkies are known to be broody doesn't mean that they will. But what's stopping you from just getting some anyways? I personally would go incubator.

Thanks for the advice, as i listed i just do not have the time to check humidity,temperature and progress of the eggs.
old.gif
I have read online and in books that leaving eggs over night in a hen house encourages broodiness.
thank you for time and advice
cheers
Brittany
bun.gif

highfive.gif

I have both, and I use both
smile.png

And Twistedfeather is right, not all Silkie hens go broody. Not too mention, hens don't seem to want to be broody when you need them to be. Good luck!

Thank you
I'd prefer to use a hen then a man made invention, but thank you for the advice.

cheers
Brittany
big_smile.png

I'd say go with the broody. That way she'll not only brood the eggs, but raise the chicks for you! Your kids will learn so much from watching momma hen care for her babies.

Just be aware you'll get 50% cockerels, and you'll need to have a plan for what to do with them.

I'd say go with the broody. That way she'll not only brood the eggs, but raise the chicks for you! Your kids will learn so much from watching momma hen care for her babies.

Just be aware you'll get 50% cockerels, and you'll need to have a plan for what to do with them.

Thank you, I know I will get a ratio of 5 out of 10 will be cockerels, but yes I will give them away to a lady I know
Thank you for the advice it was helpful.
D.gif

cheers
bun.gif

Brittany
celebrate.gif

Back
Top Bottom