Incubator overheated, eggs have no air cell??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cormiercreation, Apr 5, 2012.

1. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    I wanna cry. The incubator overheated Sunday and the eggs are due to hatch this Sat! Foul play unfortunately we believe :(. But I candled the eggs and there appears to be no air cells. Most of the eggs are completely dark!! Did they all die?? How can I tell if I have viable little chicks inside?? I cannot see movement or anything. The temp was over 100 prob a couple hrs before I caught it.

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Having no air cell at this late stage may (probably) means they have internally piped already. Did you candle earlier in incubating and see air cells? If so then count on them a little early is all. A few hours over 100 F is nothing to worry about. The internal temperature of the egg has to reach over 103F and stay there for a few hours to start killing off embryos. I think your fine.

3. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    Oh how I hope you are correct!! This past week has been stressful. When should I give up if they do not start to come through the shells??

4. mondotomhead

mondotomhead Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Sturbridge
  5. AinaWGSD

AinaWGSD Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Sullivan, IL
    You'll probably be ok. I messed with the temp. right before I left for work Tuesday like an idiot. Came back 11 hours later and discovered the temperature in my incubator was 104! I felt the panic creeping in as I turned the eggs (I hand turn mine) and then I candled. Almost all of the eggs had movement in them, I was so relieved that my stupidity hadn't killed them all. How far over 100 was the incubator? Anything under 103 is nothing to sweat. I aim for 100 but typically run between 99 and 102, depending on the temperature fluctuation in the house that day. I have read in several places that for still air incubators (which is what I have) you actually want to run the temperature a little high, around 102, for best results.

At this stage in incubation, your eggs should be almost completely dark, although I would expect them to have an air cell. If they're not due until Saturday the safest thing for you to do will probably be to just assume that they are all still viable and wait to see what happens. If you don't see any pips by day 23, you could try the float test. I'm pretty sure there's a sticky at the top of the forum with a link on how to do the float test.

6. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    I panicked and pulled the top off and pulled the thermometer so quickly, but I am sure it was closer to 106
    I candled them today and I see no movement in them. Hopefully Egghead is correct and pipping has started. I saw the air pocket in 2, so I'm just confused. I didn't disturb them all, just a few, as to not cause a problem that may not have been there. I just wish I knew for sure!!

Last edited: Apr 5, 2012
  7. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    OK, a couple of them are wiggling and are "peeping". I can hear scratching as well. Is their peeping like they do once hatched normal or are they in trouble?? There is so much info out there about, help em out, don't touch em, mist em, don't open em, candle em.!!! Trying to be patient. Just don't want to loose them at this point!! Since they survived the heat!!

8. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    8:32PM, Peeping sounds started (or at least I first heard, cause I wasn't home) at 1:30pm. Several moved around and now finally one (that was not a moving one) has a beak hole in it. So we have officially had our first pipping :) I just may still end up with "Easter Chicks" at this rate :) Yay!!!

9. mhaddon

mhaddon Out Of The Brooder

Apr 6, 2012
    Yay! That's great news. I know my first 10 hatched and it was nerve wrecking, lol.

10. cormiercreation

cormiercreation New Egg

Apr 5, 2012
    Well, here it is Sunday evening. Easter. And there are 7 chicks hatched and others pipping :) So anyone that has temp issues with your incubator just needs to sit on your hands (horribly hard!) and wait. It paid off. I almost had tossed them all figuring they were dead!! Praise God I have beautiful peeps :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by