1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator problem- what to do with chick eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LoriMom, Dec 13, 2011.

1. LoriMom

LoriMom New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    This is my first hatch. During the first 20 days, I checked the temp/humidity gauge 1-2 times per day. A friend of mine, who set the eggs the same day was getting pipping and chicks on day 20. That prompted me to really check the temp more than 1-2 x/day and I noticed that my temperature in the incubator was fluctuating every couple of hours -anywhere from 96-102- without me opening the incubator or doing anything differently! I did have 2 hatches recently..both were 1 day late. The chicks seem weaker than my friend's chicks. I am now awaiting the other hatches -but I have a question: At what point do I toss the eggs and call it a day? How much does this temp fluctuation affect these chicks? I'm concerned that they will all be weak and/or deformed due to the temp problems, and I can't help feeling guilty for not catching this problem sooner.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2011
  2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I don't think you can compare success to someone else's hatch, what you get is what you get. If you've had good hatches in the past, things went right, if you have a bad hatch maybe it was something you can't control, and it just happened, Don't feel that you did something bad, and have guilt. Get some more eggs, use the last hatch as a learning process, and move on. As far as tossing eggs, if you're candling you may be able to tell if something is going on, if not I was told to wait until day 25 or 26 as long as nothing is smelling up the bator.

3. BairleaFarm

BairleaFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2011
    Georgetown, KY
    Thats a huge swing in temps. The 96* is why your hatching later than your friend. the cooler temps delay the hatch a day or so. at least with mine I toss mine on the 9th of the 23rd day. I think some wait until the 25th day.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    The eggs can hatch two or even three days early or late without it being a big problem. Average incubating temperature is one possible reason, but there are many other things that can affect actual hatch date. Obviously, you want to try to stabilize the temperatures but if you have had success in tha past, don't get too worried. When incubating, patience is usually your friend.

The temperature inside the egg is not the same as the instantaneous temperature of the air. It takes a while for the center of the egg to cool down or heat up.

5. LoriMom

LoriMom New Egg

Dec 13, 2011
    Thank you all. I feel better. Live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by