Incubator problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tom e, Apr 20, 2012.

1. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    So I set up the incubator for my hatching eggs, watched it for a day and temps were great. Put the eggs inside, and then noticed the temps were a little high yesterday afternoon. So I twisted the dial (hovabotor basic- no fans, no thermostat- I think it's on a rheostat) to turn it down just a bit. Later I looked at it when it was time for my evening egg turn: it was 120 degrees! I must have twisted it the wrong way..
    I turned it down right away, opened it to cool it off and walked away worried.
    This morning: 89 degrees. Jeez I'm having trouble.

Are the eggs likely done? It could have been about 4 hours at the high temp, overnight at the low.

I went to the coop later and it looks like I have a hen who's feeling broody. Is it possibly that they could be transfered to her since my incubator is proving problematic? Or should I just get the temp set and keep trucking?

I cracked open one egg, the yolk had a VERY pronounced white disk, bigger than I've seen on regular fertile eggs like we eat.

Mixed feelings on this, what would you do?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Sounds like they started, but extended time that high will kill them, you can leave them and candle for day 5, hope to see a network of veins.

You will be very sure the hen is broody by then and not faking you out.

over 105*f (internal) will destroy the proteins- cooking the egg instead of incubating it- now to get the inside of an egg that hot takes time...

the low temp is less of a problem even overnight.

3. tom e

tom e Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2010
    Ventura County
    The thing that seems weird about the egg/ yolk is that it is quite 'runny'. Doesn't hold together out of the egg like a fresh egg would. I fear the proteins may be damaged from the heat. Maybe back to square 1..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by