Incubator problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SV68CS, Nov 5, 2016.

1. SV68CS

SV68CS Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Hello all, just needing advice or if someone else is or having the same problem with this non branded incubator.

Refer to the attached photos....

I'm very disappointed with this product as we lost our first lot of eggs now we have past our lockdown time with the second batch, we had rock n roll movement in most eggs prior other lock down but we are now at
    day 28 and not one chick pipping we are very disappointed as we trusted this product.
    Carol

2. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Overrun With Chickens

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    There's no photos....Sorry to hear about your incubator problems :(

1 person likes this.
  3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there Carol, sorry to hear about your poor hatch :hugs I'm afraid your pic is not showing up.

I too have a non branded incubator that I first started out with and it is very hit and miss. The temp control on it is totally off and I have to ignore it. I use a known to be correct thermometer in it when I have to use it. I also use a known to be correct hygrometer for the humidity. Have you been using these in yours?

Did you get your humidity to at least 65% at lockdown? Did you have all vents and or plugs fully open to get as much oxygen in there as possible? How often did you turn your eggs prior to lockdown?

1 person likes this.
  4. SV68CS

SV68CS Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Hi Yorkshire Coop the humidity was alway at 65% and it had an automatic egg turner. Im trying to add photo but its not working.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    What was your humidity day 1-18? Did the air cells grow adequately and large enough?

[​IMG]

If you are on mobile version or the app you may need to switch to desktop version to upload a pic. Mobile/app can sometimes be glitchy.

1 person likes this.
  6. SV68CS

SV68CS Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    [​IMG]

7. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

:/ Not seen this one before. Does it have a fan?

8. SV68CS

SV68CS Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    Yorkshire Coop the humidity has always been 65% before and after day 18.

9. SV68CS

SV68CS Just Hatched

Sep 17, 2016
    It sure has a fan at the moment I have taken out the egg trays that has the automatic egg turner and the candler lights which it so bright that it does show the inside of egg probably.

10. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I'm afraid 65% is way too high for the eggs to have grown a large enough air cell to pip into safely. If the air cell is too small the chicks can drown when they internally pip into it before they make their external pip in the shell. Did you candle and check air cell size during incubation? The chart I posted above is a good indicator to how they should have grown. The higher the humidity during the incubation the smallwe your air cells will be as the eggs just can't lose enough moisture, the lower the humidity the larger they will be because they are losing too much. Humidity is not a set number and you need to find the balance for what's right for you, your incubator and environment. For example I incubate at 35% day 1-18 which suits me. During candle if they look too big for the said day I will put the humidity up for a few days and if they look too small I will turn the humidity down.

Have you read this ~ https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by