incubator problems....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Rudkin, Mar 11, 2013.

1. Rudkin

Rudkin Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2013
    We have 14 eggs in an incubator that are due to hatch on the 19th. Styrofoam incubator with an egg turner inside and the temp has been steady at about 98.9. The incubator is about 2 feet off the floor. We built a chick brooder over the weekend and put the incubator on top of it, now about 4 feet off the floor. There is a towel laying on top of the brooder in between the brooder and the incubator. This morning we checked and the temp is 102.7. What gives? Is it the height? Incubator is in same place, just higher. Could it be the towel underneath? Crappy incubator? We just put 30 eggs in another incubator set up the same way. Had a steady temp for 24 hours before placing the eggs. The incubators are next to each other. This morning that temp read 106! So we lost that batch for sure! :( Any thoughts? Also, can you reccomend a good incubator. We seem to be having a lot of trouble with these styrofoam ones. Are they crap or are we just inept? LOL!

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Could be lots of things. Be careful of towels and things that may block the vents. The eggs need oxygen.
    Don't give up on the eggs. I've had chicks hatch out of a crappy styro incy that swung from 92-108.

3. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    I would invest in A better one or build you one.

4. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i put a box ontop of my incubator for a couple hours not thinking anything of it. It was a styrofoam one i built myself. The temp went up to 114. heat escapes from the top and the box insulated the styrofoam i guess. Maybe something along the same lines happened to you.

5. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    did any hatch tec?

6. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    surprisingly yes. i dont know why though lol. i thought for sure i cooked them. they hatched just fine too.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by