1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by FarmalI, Mar 9, 2015.

1. FarmalI

FarmalI Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2013
    I have a hova bator incubator that fluctuates in temperature. Anyone got any ideas to fix it?

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I’m not sure knowing which model Hovabator or kind of controls would help in this one though sometimes you run into people that have faced a similar problem where that kind of knowledge might help. Can you describe the temperature fluctuation? How much and how often? Are there any particular times you notice this? Any tiny clue to your problem might be helpful.

How much do you trust your thermometer? Never trust any thermometer that comes with the incubator. Always get a thermometer you can trust so you know what you are talking about. It really helps to calibrate any thermometer that you get.

Where is the incubator located? Is it where an air vent blows on it, sunlight coming through a window can heat it up, or probably the worst, near an outside door so the temperature where it is rapidly changes a bunch?

Are you allowing enough time for the temperature to stabilize after you add water, open it, or do something else to it?

If it is a forced air model it should not matter, but in a still air it is very important where you take the temperature. Hot air rises so the higher in the incubator you take the temperature the warmer it will be. If it is a still air, are you taking the temperature at the same spot each time?

That’s about all I can come up with. If none of these seem to be the problem, I’d call the manufacturer, GQF, and talk to them. You may have a faulty incubator.

When I first got my Genesis Hovabator 1588 I had the same problem, but I first set it up in my attached garage so every time the garage door was opened the outside temperature around it changed dramatically. I moved it to an interior spare bedroom out of sunlight and away from any air vents. It holds temperature rock steady.

3. ChickenLegs13

ChickenLegs13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2013
    Lower Alabama
    They all fluctuate. No cheap stryo bator made holds a steady 99.5 constantly.
    + or - 1* is normal. Swings outside of that parameter indicate a problem.

4. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    Agree with all the above.
    A lot has to do with the speed at which the thermometer reads and if digital, how often it updates.
    Also most thermostat controls don't modulate temperature. When it drops below the set point, the heat element is energized. When it hits the high set point, power is removed. A fast read thermometer will instantly detect that high temperature when energized.
    Within that range is what controls the internal egg temperature. That's the only thing that really matters. Air temperature is just a way to achieve that internal temperature.

These are the 2 best thermometers I've found at a reasonable cost.

http://thermoworks.com/products/low_cost/rt301wa.html

https://www.brinsea.com/p-394-spot-check-digital-incubator-thermometer.aspx

Last edited: Mar 10, 2015
  5. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    It is a circulated air incubator, and sometimes it fluctuates 3 or 4 degrees, i have used the same thermometer for 2 or 3 years so i dont think its the thermometer. Someone told me it might be the wafer. What are yalls thoughts?

6. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    If you've used the same incubator and it's now behaving differently, it could be time to change the wafer or at least make sure it's clean.

7. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I have not experienced that specific problem but yes, that is enough fluctuation to be concerned. It needs to be fixed.

It could be the wafer. Contacts get worn, especially if it is used a lot. I just went through that with my stovetop. A bit of dirt or something may be arcing. Something may have worked itself loose.

I think an inspection and cleaning in that area is in order. Be looking for black spots where something may be arcing or if something is loose. If everything looks good and it still misbehaves, you can try changing the wafer. Another option is to call GQF and talk to them. I got their help line through the Sales department when I called. They should have experienced this type of thing before and have some pretty good ideas of what the problem is. Sometimes this kind of stuff is a bit of trial and error to fix.

Good luck with it.

8. FarmalI

Dec 14, 2013
    ok, well I know these incubators are probably 20 + years old, when my kindergarten teachers husband died she gave them to me and I have used them 1 to 2 times a year for the last 12 years.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by