Incubator question from a newb...

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MontanaDolphin, Dec 11, 2013.

1. MontanaDolphin

MontanaDolphin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    A couple of years ago I bought a used incubator from goodwill. It doesn't have a label anywhere to tell me who made it. The only label I found was on a removable thermometer inside the incubator. It says G.Q.F. MFG. CO....No. 1850.

I have never used an incubator before, and want to hatch some fertile eggs in a month or two. I don't even know what might be missing from this incubator, how to use it, nothing. I don't even know if it works, or how to check to see if it works. Could someone please help?? Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. new breeder

new breeder Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    for the start i will say i dont know, i have my first chicks 3 days before from my incubator.....

need a thermometer and a hygrometer to know how they work properly, then all you have to do is put water into the grooves down to close the lid and put it in the provision of electricity ....it has a fan? i dont see a fan ..

3. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    try gqfmfg.com - you may even be able to get an operations manual on the 1850.

4. MontanaDolphin

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Quote:No, it does not have a fan. I'll have to order a thermometer and hygrometer...any recommendations?
    Quote:I tried the website...even called them. They didn't have any record of the incubator with that model number...either it's too old so they don't carry the info on it anymore, or it's a different manufacturer. There is a similar one on the website though...and it has the same yellow increase/decrease sticker on it...so I do think it's made by GQF...it's just too dang old to have info still available. Phooey.

5. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    well i live in Greece i dont know companies in your country :p

[​IMG] i have 1 from the kitchen with little money, hygrometer ... i really dont know..... i have put water and pray t god :p

[​IMG]

6. Aphrael

Aphrael Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2013
    Texas
    To test if it works I would just plug it in and see if it heats first. If it does, then you can test if the thermostat in it is functioning properly or not.

7. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece
    right here is your incubator , and how is working!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. MontanaDolphin

Feb 16, 2013
    Columbia, Virginia
    Nope, it's not the same one...I watched the video :(

9. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece

pfff and i was so happy that i find it....

10. new breeder

Nov 17, 2013
    Greece

if it is not any of that i cannot find something diffirent.....
    but they look a like..... maybe they are from the same companie....... well just take a hydrometer and make it wark for 24 hours t test it.....(well first just see if this machine product heat) becausemaybe is broken...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by