Incubator Question (Little Giant)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bigspringshatchery, Oct 26, 2010.

1. bigspringshatchery

bigspringshatchery Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    I have a hovabator now but im looking to pick up another bator. i know a guy that has one for sale and its a model 9200. it doesnt come with the egg turner so i would have to buy that. whats a good price for a used one in good shape.

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Does it have the added fan? If not, I wouldn't pay more than $20.00, and that would depend upon condition, how many times used, how clean, etc.

3. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    its a still air. he said used only once

4. Jessiewoodard57

Jessiewoodard57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2010
    Bushnell, FL.
    I can buy it for 50 new at tractor supply.

5. bigspringshatchery

Jun 26, 2010
    Roanoke Alabama
    Quote:Ok thanks. That give me an idea. Are little giants good incubators?

6. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    As horrific as mine turned out to be, you couldn't give me another one! [​IMG] I don't think I'd even use it as a hatcher...or chick warmer! lol Others have seen better results, but the majority seem to be against the LG. Often, you can find 10% off coupons for TSC, so you really shouldn't pay over $40 for a BRAND NEW one. I'd say somewhere between $15 and 20 would be a decent buy. The turner will cost another $45 or so.

Good luck![​IMG]

7. bwmichaud

bwmichaud Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2010
    They were $42 at tractor supply when I bought mine a few months ago. I had a coupon for $10 off so I paid $32. A friend of mine gave me her $10 off coupon and I bought the egg turner for $33 with the coupon. I took an old computer power supply fan I had in the basement and underpowered it to 9 volts instead of 12 volts and bolted it in the incubator. It cost me about $1.50 in bolts and washers for spacers. I have $66.50 into the whole thing and about 40 minutes of my time to rig up the fan. I bought a dozen fertile eggs from some hippie and hatched them out. I monitored the temperature but didn't monitor the humidity. I just made sure there was water in the water basins. I was all freaked out because the LG has a bad reputation here and I just figured that they wouldn't hatch. I'll be darned, after 21 days little baby chickens came out of 8 of those eggs. I cracked the remaining 4 and 1 had a little chicken in it and the other 3 looked like a regular egg. I'm not sure if they were unfertile to begin with or not. I never candled the eggs and only opened the thing to add water twice a week. I'm sure other incubators are better but this one did work for me.

Brian

8. bufforp89

bufforp89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Chenango Forks NY
    I have one and without a fan have had some really good hatches with it. Keep in mind though I am home to baby it alot. I wouldnt get a used one though considering new they are like $40. If you get one I would suggest putting books under it to raise it up so air can get under it and keeping it covered with a light blanket. I dont worry alot about humidity, just make sure the basins are full and a bowl and sponge durring lockdown. I get less sucess with ducks but I have heard they are harder to hatch anyhow.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by