Incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by farmerlor, Jan 31, 2009.

1. farmerlor

farmerlor Chillin' With My Peeps

My incubator doesn't seem to want to maintain temp. I've got 42 eggs in there and I'm running in there all day and night adjusting the temp. We've had a couple of close calls. Do you think it's the thermostat or do I need to put a fan in my incubator? I have an old still air hovabator.

2. HappyHatch'en

HappyHatch'en Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2009
    GEORGIA
    It sounds that you need a new waffer...perhaps get a small light for back up heat.....rap incubator with a bath towel to keep what heat you have, put the incubator in the house, turn the heat up some, get another thermometer. Fan would help...look for one that cools a computer, but check to see all other items are running properly too.... Good Luck....

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    My incubator doesn't seem to want to maintain temp. I've got 42 eggs in there and I'm running in there all day and night adjusting the temp. We've had a couple of close calls. Do you think it's the thermostat or do I need to put a fan in my incubator? I have an old still air hovabator.

Yes.

Much depends on type and placement of the thermometer and the incubator itself. Still airs are notorious for fluctuations, especially those due to room variations. Still airs rely on convection and the vents are the only means you have to control air flow - and thus the heat.

A fan would help and so would using a water weasel set up to monitor temps.

In the meantime, try putting it in the bottom of a little used closet to isolate it.
    If you can find some, set it on a piece of 1" foam insulating board. Barring that, cut up a box and stack several sheets of corrugated cardboard beneath the bator.

As always, mind the vents!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by