Incubator Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ole Mule, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Ole Mule

Ole Mule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    Would you worry about this temp Springfield Temp inside says 99.1 Accu-rite with the probe inside read 103.2 Humidity 55. My incubator has a fan to circulated the air inside.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. ladrifter

ladrifter Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 12, 2008
    Liberty, Ky
    one is wrong try a third Thermometer

3. lilbreeches

lilbreeches Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 13, 2009
    Delight, AR
    ditto on what ladrifter said. i had two regular bulb thermos in my bator and they read the same. i added two digitals (one was a probe) to see if they were the same and the two digis were way way off. i say go with the good old bulb thermos.

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    The location of the probe and the thermometer can make a big difference. For a forced air incubator, the readings need to be coming from right on top of the eggs.
    What kind and model incubator do you have?

P.S. I grew up in Kershaw County. Small world!

5. Ole Mule

Ole Mule Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2007
    South Carolina
    Hova bator model 2362N with automatic turner and ciculating fan. I grew up in Richland County and migrated here after retirement.

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Hmmm... I have 2 bulb thermometers and a probe Accurite in my brooder right now- as well as a digital. The two bulbs and the digital agree- it's the remote probe one that is off. Same thing happened in the incubator.

You might get 2 more bulb types and check them all at the same level, on top of the eggs. Even with the turner they pretty much stay in place. At least you'll have back up thermos!

7. chookmadhubby

chookmadhubby Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2009
    Lobethal
    Just a suggestion but it may be the bulb thermometers that are out.

A way to quickly check how accurate a thermometer is, take a normal healthy adults temp with one, it should read 99 to 100 degrees.

Regards
    Trev

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by