incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Boya321, Mar 23, 2011.

1. Boya321

Boya321 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 23, 2011
    La Mirada,CA
    When I go to turn my eggs, the eggs that are closer to the light bulb are hotter then the ones that are on the other side of the incubator. Will this effect my eggs?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The eggs hotter than the others may hatch earlier. You're probably using a still air incubator and that's one of the problems with those types of units. Forced air (heat and fan) 'bators even out the hot spots better.

3. ajacskr

ajacskr Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2010
    Talbott, TN
    What is the temp near the bulb and on the other side of the incubator.

Is this a homemade incubator, if so, does it have a fan to circulate the air. If not it would be advisable to install one to solve this problem.

If you can feel a temp difference and the ones closest to the light may be cooking or the ones away from the light may be slow to hatch (take a few more days)

Good luck with your hatching.

4. Boya321

Mar 23, 2011
    La Mirada,CA
    Okay thanks. What would happen if I switched the placement of the eggs to the oppocite sides? Also I have read that after the eggs start to hatch I should leave the chicks in there for up to two to three days becasue if I open the incubator I might risk the other eggs from hatching from the cool air rush. Is this true?

5. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    I have a piece of hardware cloth that separates the area where I put the eggs from the lightbulb (I know you can't see it on here)I put a piece of foil type ducktape on the wire which deflects the heat from being straight on the eggs. Maybe you could try something like that.
    [​IMG]

6. Boya321

Mar 23, 2011
    La Mirada,CA
    thanks everyone for the input we got it figured out we ended up putting duct tape and that evened out the heat

7. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    paddock36,

Your BYC page states that you have a certified florida black dog is that some kind of special breed, I've never heard of it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by