Incubator Question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenhawk59, Apr 28, 2008.

1. chickenhawk59

chickenhawk59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Opelika Alabama
    First off i just want to say how much i have enjoyed reading and learning from this forum. I ordered me a hova 1588 with a turner today and was just wondering do you just put the eggs in and then turn on incubator or do you turn it on and pre heat the incubator first may be a stupid question?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Turn it on and let it get up to temperature. Add water for humidity. Then put in your eggs and start counting the days. [​IMG]

3. morelcabin

morelcabin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Ontario Canada
    Yu have to get the incubator turned on and stablized first. Sometimes this takes a day or two to get humidity and temp right, (at least it did for me because I live on a lake...)then you put the eggs in

Last edited: Apr 28, 2008
  4. swiftfoot

swiftfoot Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 23, 2007
    Blountville , TN
    let it run 6-8 hrs before putting eggs in

5. ncgnance

ncgnance Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2007
    Iredell County, NC
    Quote:Didn't you get any instructions with the incubator? I sure hope it comes with instructions, because I ordered one, too. It hasn't gotten here yet.

6. chickenhawk59

chickenhawk59 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 12, 2008
    Opelika Alabama
    I just ordered it today from GQF , dont know how long it will take to get it but im sure it will come with instuctions. But i will be asking more questions in the future..

7. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    It will take 3 hours or so to come up to temp. I let mine run for several days before I set eggs. Remember to keep it in a room with stable air temps.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by