incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kjk66ss, Dec 9, 2011.

1. kjk66ss

kjk66ss Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    hello, i just bought a little giant Still -air incubator hoping i would be able to set it up and have it working good. well i can maintain a constant temp on it during the day with about a 40-60 % humidity. problem is at night. i thought the heating element would maintain that temp if the area outside got cooler. the incubator is in my room.i got up this morning (5 am) and humidity was at 20% temp was at 96.0 F.. i just ordered about 65$ worth of eggs and would like some advice on maintaining the temps at night,or maybe i need to buy a new bator that has a digital temp gauge that will maintain the internal temp. i am in southern california in los angeles so i didnt think it got too cold here to affect anything.

2. Melissa Rose

Melissa Rose Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2011
    South Texas
    Find some nice largish rocks to put inside [​IMG] [​IMG] They absorb the heat and help stabalize the temps [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] Flat ones work that way you can put the eggs on top or put them around the sides [​IMG]
    Also drape a blanket loosely over them at night to help hold the temp [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  3. kjk66ss

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    does brinsea make a model(that is on the less expensive end of the line up) that will maintain the temp on its own once you set it?

4. stoopid

stoopid Chicken Fairy Godmother

Aug 3, 2011
    Long Island, NY
    Do you have it near a window, or heat/ac vent? All of those will throw the temps goofy.

5. kjk66ss

Nov 18, 2011
    chatsworth,ca
    no it is against a wall in my room away from drafts and sun light. and i dont use the central heat we just use oil heater to heat the rooms .

6. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    The Hova Bator 1588 Genises does good at holding temp. & humidity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by