1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cajunchickens, Feb 23, 2015.

1. cajunchickens

cajunchickens Out Of The Brooder

Aug 15, 2014
    Leesville, LA
    Hi everyone! This is my first experience with incubating and we are on Day 23. Just got my first pip from one egg, but everyone else has been pretty quiet. When I checked the eggs I picked one up that had actually pipped underneath and I turned him over so that maybe he would have an easier time. He's pecking away as I type. My question is whether or not it will harm him that I flipped him over. Thanks!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Probably not. Just keep in mind that opening the bator during hatch, while a chick has pipped CAN (doesn't mean it certainly will) cause a chick to become shrink wrapped by the membrane. So every time you open the bator you theoretically increase that possibility. Good luck!

3. cajunchickens

Aug 15, 2014
    Leesville, LA
    Thanks! I thought I had lost the others, but I will just let them go for a couple more days. Fingers crossed I didn't mess anything up.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Your late hatch most likely indicates that your thermometer(s) are reading low.

5. cajunchickens

Aug 15, 2014
    Leesville, LA
    Thanks for the advice! My thermometer has been pretty consistent throughout, but I know that can be tricky when it comes to the LG ones. Thinking I need to get a better brand.

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I use a digital child's fever thermometer and insert the tip into one of the vent holes. It will probably read a bit lower than the real temp at egg level, but if it's reading 97 or something, that's your issue.

7. Auroradream26

Auroradream26 Smothered in Feathers Premium Member

May 14, 2013
    Central, PA
    Speaking of which, I finally picked one up today. works great :) and no I didn't follow you here lol. Just happened that way.

8. cajunchickens

Aug 15, 2014
    Leesville, LA
    Temps are still doing good. Both chicks have beaks peeking through the outer shell and are chirping. I'm hoping for some baby chicks soon!

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    [​IMG]

10. cajunchickens

Aug 15, 2014
    Leesville, LA
    Woke up this morning to lots of chirping but no one hatched yet. A third egg pipped during the night. The first one looks like he's trying to break through the bottom now and the second one still only has a small hole with his beak poking through. Everyone is chirping and moving so I'm hoping things keep going well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by