Incubator Questions

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by The Poultry Peanut, Apr 29, 2009.

1. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

I didn't know where to post this so mods please move to the proper spot [​IMG]
    Here is my question: Is there a way I can make my own incubator and then buy an automatic egg turner and retro fit it to the incubator? The reason I'm asking this is because the good incubators with the egg turner are way out of the price range for me. Any help would be great!

2. peckndirt

peckndirt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    North Carolina
    Sure a cabinet or old fridge ,fixed up the way you want it. Just remember ,think twice cut once.

3. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Sure, you can do whatever you want. I did just that.
    No reason why you cant, too.

One advantage of doing it yourself is you can build it piece by piece and so spread out the cost as budget allows.

4. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Yep! That's exactly what I did. I love this bator, holds temps wonderfully. Took a little tweaking in the area of humidity holding, but all looks good now.

[​IMG]

I didn't spent much, $4 on scrap plywood at Home Depot, the ceramic bulb holders were from when we built the house, 2 cpu fans from old computers here at home, some plexiglass for the front and the wafer. I can't recall what was spent on the wafer, but I'm thinking it was the most expensive part.

Smiles
    Jul

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:Bout sums it up and the picture id perfect. Wafer switches can be had for $15-$20

6. The Poultry Peanut

The Poultry Peanut lives under rock

KOOL I will have to figure this out!!!

7. showme31

showme31 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Moscow Mills MO
    Quote:You will, and you'll totally enjoy it. Happy hatching!

Smiles
    Jul

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by