Incubator Questions.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by icewb8, Jan 22, 2007.

1. icewb8

icewb8 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2007
    Hi all I found a nice GQF 1602n Hova-Bator Incubator w/ 1611 Egg Turner for a good price. I am wondering though if havinga fan is essential to hatching chickens? Also is there any way to put my own fan into it? I have a spare computer fan.

2. Wes in Tx

Wes in Tx Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Texas
    Yes a fan helps and yes you can use a computer fan. I have seen a couple places on the net that tell how to do it.

3. I have a couple of still-airs that need fans. Would it be too much trouble to find the links?

Thanks!

4. cgjsmith

cgjsmith Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2007
    tennessee
    If ya'll could post those sites I would be greatful!

5. Champoux

Champoux Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2015
    Kansas
    I got a new Little Giant incubator. It has the fan and digital temp controls. I am using it for the first time and the digital temp is saying 99.5 but the manual thermomiter inside reads around 97. Then when I put a digital probe thermomiter in the air holes I get a range of 96-103. What the heck??? I thought the fan was to make the tempature more even. I am confused...

Last edited: Oct 20, 2015
  6. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You bought the 9300 didn't you??? The gages on them are notorious for being wrong. Best thing you can do is have two independent checked thermometers and a hygrometer in there and go by those. Almost everyone I know has had to set the lg 1-3 degrees higher than the recommended temp just to get the recommended temp inside the bator. And don't go by the manuals for humidity recommendations either. Consider a low humidity or "dry" incubation. The digital lgs are awful!

7. Champoux

Sep 24, 2015
    Kansas
    Thanks I bumped it up to 101 and it seems better. I have had eggs in there for 4 days, are they lost?

8. Champoux

Sep 24, 2015
    Kansas
    Is there a digital thermometer/hydrometer that I can buy that is accurate?

9. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You might see a minor delay in hatch but they should be fine as long as humidity is good over the average and temps stay steady where they need to be for the remander of the hatch.

A lot of people swear by the Brinsea spot check thermometers. As for hygrometers, I use an accurite combo, but I hear the ones that they use for reptiles are very good and better accuracy. Whatever one you get you can salt test it for accuracy and you'll have an idea of how to mentally adjust if it isn't dead on. As long as you are checking your air cells for growth, you'll know how to adjust the humidity regardless.

10. Champoux

Sep 24, 2015
    Kansas
    Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by