Incubator Questions

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by SeaHen, May 13, 2010.

1. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    Has anyone had experience hatching duck eggs in a cheap home-made incubator? I'm going to attempt to build one out of a styrofoam cooler because I'm too cheap to actually buy one made out of the same material. I understand duck eggs are more difficult to incubate, so I'm wondering what the chance of success might be. If you wouldn't recommend a home-made 'bator, do you think the LG or Genesis would suffice? I normally have broody banty chickens around this time of year, but of course now that I want them to be they aren't cooperating!

2. LarryPQ

LarryPQ Easter Hatch!!

Jul 17, 2009
    [​IMG]

Just go build an incubator, and all your banties will go broody. Easy peasy. [​IMG]

3. SeaHen

SeaHen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2009
    Springfield, OR
    [​IMG]

I think you're right!

4. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I say, give it a shot. I've never made a homemade incubator, but it doesn't seem like it would be that difficult--you just need an insulated container, heat source, thermostat, and a fan.

Duck eggs are not all that hard to incubate. They just take longer. I don't do anything special humidity-wise--in fact, I've had my best hatches with eggs that are kept at a very low humidity (i.e., using no water in the incubator) throughout until the lockdown, and then just getting it up as high as I can. My last hatch was only 76% but the two before that were above 90%--in fact, with the exception of the most recent hatch, I've never had one below 80%. I don't mist them, and I use a standard chicken egg turner.

Those of us who love to do research also tend to over-think things. Sometimes, you gotta just do it and see what happens. Have fun.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I have two homemade bators both of them are made from a large styrofoam cooler. I use one an incubator and the other as a hatcher. I have had good success hatching duck eggs with them. My suggestion is to hand turn the duck eggs. If you want any pics of my bator, just PM me. I will be glad to help. [​IMG]

6. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I made two homemade incubators out of the large styrofoam coolers. I use one as the bator and the other was the hatcher. I was doing a staggered hatch. I have had good success from them. I do suggest hand turning duck eggs. If you would like to see pics, just PM me. I will be glad to help. [​IMG]

I don't know how that double post happened. I didn't hit the submit twice. Sorry.

Last edited: May 13, 2010
  7. classroomducks

classroomducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 19, 2009
    Fort Worth, Tx
    theres a great thread on this forum about home made incubators...i think it is a sticky in one of the sections...let me see if i can find it...

yep its a sticky in the incubator section...it was a contest they did on here but some great ideas...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=316076

Last edited: May 14, 2010
  8. 1lpoock

1lpoock Spruce Creek Waterfowl

Apr 20, 2009
    Sandusky, Ohio
    Quote:I think you should just make a thread here showing all the pics! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by