Incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by zekii, Dec 26, 2010.

1. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Haven't hatched any chickens yet,
    I found an old HovaBator 1602N still air incubator, has no turner or fan, I was thinking of retro fitting this incubator with at least a fan, but since this incubator is already at least 12 years old maybe I should just look around for a new model with fan/egg turner, and use the old hovabator just for the last 3 days of the hatch. After doing some reading I'm thinking my hatch rates would probably be better with at least a fan.

What do others here think about still air versus an incubabor with a fan, especially if I'm not using a auto-turner ?

Also what is a good digital hydrometer/thermometer to get ?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    I would definitely put in a fan, dont know what kind of thermostat you are using, if its a wafer I would change it ( the wafer) but as far as a turner goes I dont use one on my Styrofoam baters I hand turn mine in egg cartons, my thermometer is a ex tech & is a very good dig. one, my hydrometer is a Exo Terra about $5-6 at pet smart.

3. Sportsterjeep

Sportsterjeep Creekside Acres Farm

Jun 1, 2010
    Mill Hall PA
    I agree with Rebel, fan and new thermostat. Hand turning or auto turner is all a personal option. I would forget to hand turn, or not be home to do it because of work or kids, so it's an auto turner for me.

ETA: Test run it without eggs and see if it holds temp and humidity. 12 years old isn't bad as long as it's not busted up and it works.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  4. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm

5. caveman

caveman Out Of The Brooder

Dec 26, 2010
    Hawaii
    I definately agree with using a fan. It helps mix the air and prevent hot spots in your bator.

As for the Hygrometer/Thermometer, I have used many different models to find the most accurate and user friendly. I recommend using a Zilla model (see link). It is designed to be used in a terrarium for repiles, and is therefore very sensative to temp/humidity changes. It costs a little more than the average model, but I find that it is well worth the extra cost because you can mount the sensors inside the bator and retain the display unit on the outside to check min/max temps and set alarms that remind you when to turn the eggs. I recently used it in my homeade incubator and had a 100% hatch rate. Good luck!!

http://www.reptilesupply.com/product.php?products_id=1692

6. zekii

zekii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2010
    New Hampsha
    Thanks for the replies ...
    Yes the old Hovabator has the original wafer thermostat, it is in good shape. I'll do some temp/humidity test with it to see how well it can maintain the temp/humidity I need, but will still probably look for a new better incubator.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by