1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chasehope, May 8, 2007.

1. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    I am wanting to invest in a good quality incubator. I currently have a little giant. I am willing to spend money to get a good one, I just need to know everyones oppinion on them and where to get the best one I can get for a somewhat reasonable amount, as well as what I should expect to pay. thanks in advance.

2. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    That would depend on the egg capacity you are looking for.

For a large cabinet model go with the new Brinsea OVA-EASY 380. Better than the sportman I had by far. $533.00 through double r supply. That is the best price of any supplier. $40.00 shipping.

They have a website and you can find them on ebay.

Even in a smaller model it is hard to beat Brinsea. You will pay almost as much as the above for a 40 egg model.

3. chasehope

chasehope Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 2, 2007
    Eastern Washington
    how many eggs will yours hold? Thats not a bad price. I am looking at it as an investment to my hobby, so I will definately look up that one.

4. kstaven

kstaven Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 26, 2007
    BC, Washington Border
    380 eggs at full capacity with stacking trays in place. 180 using single trays.

I paid close to $1400.00 for the fully loaded sportsman new and although a good incubator, the OVA has better temperature consistancey and humidity stability. Comes with a clear front door that you pay extra for with most.

I doubt the price on the Ova will last long. Pretty sure it is just to introduce it to the market.

I have used everything from the hova right on up. Still have a couple of the hova's around for emergencies.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by