Incubator questions

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by angelmarie, Jun 4, 2008.

1. angelmarie

angelmarie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Ok, i set up an aquarium(disinfected) a red bulb light and a humitity gauge, and plastis wrap on the top but no progress vivible in the eggs other than what was there. Any house hold items i can use to get my bator running???

2. tororider

tororider Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2008
    Southeast MI
    Check MissPrissy's page. She has instructions on how to build at least one type, maybe two types of incubators. I am sure that will help you out.

3. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    Good news! I found a thermometer outside. So i washed it and used that it took about a half an hour to regulate the temp. but i think i got it

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Am I to understand that you didn't run it, perfecting the process, BEFORE you set eggs?

5. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    run the bulb? i did

6. luvmychicknkids

luvmychicknkids Canning Squirrel

Mar 6, 2008
    Floresville, Texas
    I think he means did you not do a trial run on the incubator, making sure everything was working alright BEFORE setting eggs. How long have the eggs been in there? If it has been several days and there is no development I am going to assume they are a lost cause.

7. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Yeah that's what I meant. It's probably because I work in a highly technical field where nothing is left to chance that I say these things. People's health is on the line in my occupation; I have to be dead certain of both method and result before I call something good. I reckon that everyone is going to think that way.

Not to be mean or anything, but its pretty standard practice to get the incubator running and yourself comfortable with it's operation... before going to the next step of setting eggs. This would include gathering all the needed gear, instruments, backups, and so on.

So where are you at this point in the hatch?

8. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    oh yeah i did a trial run. including this morning its been 3 days i think all the eggs but 1 aren't fertilized

9. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    How do you get air circulation with an aquarium incubator?

10. angelmarie

Jun 3, 2008
    bakersfield
    a fan lol

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by