Incubator Recommendations PLEASSEE!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dsfrango, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Im looking to invest in an incubator very soon and would like to get some advice on what brand and where to get it. Theres so many options. I want a somewhat advanced but simple. Budget is not really an issue , We'll say up to about 400$-450$ max. I only need to incubate batches of about 25 egges(chicken) at a time. i want auto egg turner and a temp regulator so that if its put outside in spring it can still maintain a steady temp. If i could have exact links and specs that would be much appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    Well.....

I have 2 suggestions

If money is no option, get a Sportsman 1502 (look at Surehatch, an advertiser here on BYC). It can be used as an incubator and a hatcher

Or, get 2 Hovabator Genesis 1588s with auto-turners. Around $200 ea. The reason I say get 2 is so you can incubate in one and hatch in the other. Best source is surehatch also

I've owned both (using a 1502 now) and both are easy to use and very automated

3. KalikoFarms

KalikoFarms Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2011
    DICKEY'S

INCUBATORS, INC

536 Ada Dr.
    Millen, Georgia 30442

Our Phone/fax number is 478-982-5515

tHIS IS WHAT WE USE AND WILL NEVER GO BACK. You can call him anytime and he will help you.
    Rita

4. MamaMarcy

MamaMarcy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Snohomish, WA
    I love my Little Giant. $45-55 at most feed stores. I like to hand turn, but I think you can buy an auto turner & fan for them.

If I ever "upgrade" I think I'd build my own.

5. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I have an older Sportsman cabinet incubator (1202). We have made modifications like changing the thermostat from a wafer to an electronic thermostat and we put a clear door on it. I also have LG and Hova-Bator Styrofoam incubators. I incubate in the sportsman and hatch in the styrofoams. Since you are just looking to incubate around 2 dozen eggs at a time check out Brinsea incubators. I have seen very good reviews on them.

http://www.brinsea.com/buying/holidaysaleprice2011.htm

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  6. Wnunezcruz

Wnunezcruz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2011
    Tennessee
    I use a hova bator 1588 series. They sell on eBay around $150 and they work great. All you have to do is ad water and keep an eye on the humidity. Some people don't sell the turner with the incubator so make sure the auction includes the turner.

7. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    The Hova bator 1588 Genesis is the only way to go, mine holds temp. like a rock, cant ask for anything better.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I have two.

The 1588 and this one Octogon 20 Advance Ex

If I had it all to do over again, I would have spent the money for an electronic 1502.

9. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Quote:No matter what kind of incubator you get you do need to put it in a place with a stable temperature. Outside might not be a good thing as the day/night temperatures fluctuate to much that the incubator will too and you will probably have a terrible hatch if any hatch at all. The incubator needs to be inside to keep the temperature and humidity stable. I don't know where you would put it outside or why. Just curious.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by