Incubator recommendations?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenmom64, May 18, 2011.

1. chickenmom64

chickenmom64 New Egg

May 12, 2011
    My first chicken egg hatch left me disappointed. I used the Little Giant model with the egg turner and the fan additions. Out of 35 eggs, only 12 hatched. [​IMG] What I found with the Little Giant is that it is so difficult to regulate and maintain the temperature. There were constant inexplicable temperature fluctuations. I even bought an expensive thermometer and hygrometer and watched temperature and humidity like a hawk.

What I would like is an incubator that has a thermostat, so that you set it at 99.5 degrees and that's where it's going to stay. Is there such a thing for under $200.00? I am eager to give it another go, but obviously not with that particular brand of incubator.

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    www.brinsea.com

I have the Brinsea Eco 20 and it works great. A lot of people on here have been getting them.

3. chickenmom64

chickenmom64 New Egg

May 12, 2011
    Thank you! What is your average hatch rate with this? Is it easy to add water for humidity?

4. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I'm only on my 3rd hatch but I think I was at 85% with the first two. To fill the water you have to pour in between the eggs or remove the tray. Some people slide a small hose thru the vent and fill with a syringe.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by