Incubator recs?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by johanssonmel, Jan 16, 2015.

1. johanssonmel

johanssonmel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Newbie apologies if there's a thread somewhere that covers this topic--trying to sift through the vast number of results returned by any of my searches just defeated me. Feel free to just point me in another direction.

I'd like to know which incubators you all recommend, and if there are any you've had bad experiences with. I'm looking for a smallish one, that will hold about 12 eggs. Price is not a top priority for me--I'm more concerned with reliability and convenience.

TIA

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I can tell you right now, if price is not priority or issue, that the recommendation is the Brinsea line of incubators. They have different sizes of bators and come highly recommended by those on here that have them. (I have a cheap styrofaom LG that while is working well for me is a hands on, you must babysit- type of bator.) Brinseas are popular because they yield good rates and there is little you have to do to maintain temp/humidity, unlike other models.

3. johanssonmel

johanssonmel Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2014
    Wilmington NC
    Thank you! Just the kind of info I was looking for!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    You are welcome.

5. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with AmyLynn I have the Brinsea octagon 20 advance EX with humidity pump and would reccomend it 100%. Really is set and forget barring filling the water tank under the pump a couple times. Totally love it :bow :bow :bow

6. dheltzel

dheltzel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Nov 30, 2013
    Pottstown, PA
    I've heard good things about Brineseas and R-Com's, but have no hands on experience with them. I have hatched a lot of chicks in the cheap styro incubators and they are frustrating. My "go to" incubator for good hatches and good price is the Genesis by GQF. It is the descendent of the cheap styrobators, but all grown up. It's all digital and has a more powerful heater. It really is plug and play unless the humidity in the room is real low, then you need to add some water. I'd estimate the Genesis is about half the price of a comparable Brinsea and holds about twice as many eggs. I think it's the best value for small operations.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by