Incubator reeks??

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by OrpsNz, Dec 5, 2016.

1. OrpsNz

OrpsNz New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    So I have looked at a couple of posts on here about incubator smells, but mine reeks and its day 5. Can I take out the eggs for say 10 mins to rinse/clean the incubator and replace water? The whole house is fairly warm and humid at the moment, so not too worried about temperature.

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Candle your eggs and remove any undeveloped ones. It's likely there is a bad egg in there. Did you disinfect it thoroughly before you set the eggs?

3. OrpsNz

OrpsNz New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Yes It was disinfected and did not smell even with the last hatch. Like I said they are only on day 5 so I think its more the water that is iffy.

4. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    How old were the eggs when you set them?

5. OrpsNz

OrpsNz New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Should be no longer than a week old, they are pheasant eggs 43 of them and 4 chicken eggs which only went in last night that were from early yesterday morning.

6. OrpsNz

OrpsNz New Egg

Nov 3, 2016
    Nevermind!!! I found an incredibly rank egg, it was stuck in its roller so had to remove all the eggs and get it out then rewashed the whole incubator out. Smells sooooo much better :)

7. junebuggena

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Checking the eggs is the first thing to do when it comes to a funky smell in the incubator. Glad you got the bad egg out of there before it spoiled the whole batch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by