Incubator repair - electrical question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Stefrobrts, Nov 3, 2010.

1. Stefrobrts

Stefrobrts Out Of The Brooder

Sep 15, 2009
    I am fixing up an old incubator. The power cord was cut off when I got it. It is a two wire cord. The tan wire goes to a junction block inside the fuse box, and the black wire goes to the fuse. I want to replace this cord with a new one, but all the cords at the hardware store with heavy duty wires were grounded, three wire. What should I do with the third wire?

In this picture the power cord is coming in the left side of the box.

[​IMG]

2. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Put it under a screw on the metal part of the body to ground it to the house ground. Not actually needed an you could cut it off but its safer of its there.

3. iluvsedward

iluvsedward Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2010
    Calvert county MD
    I hope you can get some more help with this

4. SteveH

SteveH Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:The " tan " wire was white at one time ; your new cord will be black , white , and one likely bare but can be insulated in green . Black to replace the black ; this is electricity coming in . White to replace the " tan " ; this is electricity flowing back out . The bare wire should , as previously suggested , be secured to the metal box ; this allows electricity a safe route out in case of an accidental short occuring . Easiest method is to use a self-tapping screw but you could drill a small hole and use a a 6/32 or 8/32 [ possibly labeled a #6 or #8 ] machine screw with hex nut on the other side . Connections should be hooked over the screws in a clockwise manner ; as the screw is tightened this tends to tighten the wire into the connection instead of forcing it out . I hope that's helpful .

5. Stefrobrts

Sep 15, 2009
    Thank you very much, folks, that's just what I needed to know. We'll see if this old machine still works!

6. Dogfish

Dogfish Rube Goldberg incarnate

Mar 17, 2010
    Western Washington
    Tan = white. Black = black. green/bare copper = ground.

replace white (common) and black (power) exactly as they are. Use a round terminal connector, attach it to the screw on the bottom left.

7. Stefrobrts

Sep 15, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. It worked! I plugged it in and the fan came on, the heater warmed up, and the motor turned the drum - awesome! I need to replace some weatherstripping on it, then I can set it up to run and see if it can reliably hold temperature and humidity. I might have a working incubator before too long!

8. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Quote:Way to go Stephanie ! Now , if its not too much trouble , could you post us a pic of the old incubator ? I think I could get into restoring old 'bators ............... [ said knowing full well I have no time for that [​IMG]] . I'm really happy for you that it appears to be in working order .

9. Stefrobrts

Sep 15, 2009
    [​IMG]

It's a Humidaire Drum-type incubator. I picked it up for free when a friend pointed out a free incubator in my area on CL. I just wanted a little tabletop incubator - I couldn't believe what it was when I went to pick it up. I'm really excited it seems to be in very close to working condition!

10. SteveH

Nov 10, 2009
    West/Central IL
    Great find ! Thank you for showing it , its kinda like an early , giant ancester of the Brinsea Octagon on a cradle [​IMG] .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by