Incubator running a little high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by wacacta, Feb 19, 2015.

1. wacacta

wacacta Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Hi, i was wondering whether my eggs will be ok being incubated at 37.7°c? I have only ever hatched at 37.5°c. I currently have 14 chicken eggs in there set wednesday. Im a little hesitant to mess with the temp as its my first time using my Brinsea eco 20 with auto turn! :/ do you think i should attempt to lower it .2°c or will they be fine at the current temperature!

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    .2 is nothing to worry about. [​IMG]

3. wacacta

Feb 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Thank you :) that's put my mind at ease now!

4. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I have the eco 20 too and it has always ran a little high like yours. I don't hatch that often but I have never had a problem with the temp being a little high. I bet you would have trouble finding a broody hen that is 99.5 degree's all of the time so a little temp swing is ok. The only thing I have noticed is that the eggs usually start pipping on the night of day 20.
    I have learned a few things that have helped with my hatch rate tho. I add water every 3 days and don't check in between if the humidity drops a little on the third day that's ok. When I go into lock down I fill the second reservoir with water and that will bring the humidity up just fine. I also only candle on day 10 and 18 other than that I leave them alone. I may be wrong but I believe the more you mess with the eggs the lower the hatch rate,at least that is how it's worked for me in the past.The eco is a good incubator and should do a fine job for you as long as you have good eggs to put in it.

1 person likes this.
  5. wacacta

Feb 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    Thank you for your comment! I have previously used a brinsea mini eco but you can't fit many eggs in there and it gets to be a pain turning the eggs, hence the upgrade. I will follow your advice in regards to the humidity and leaving the eggs alone. At least with an automatic turner I will be less tempted to have a sneaky candle early on!

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    LOL. I'm a candling addict. After a week and I see development I candle pretty much every night. Not all the eggs but at least 3/4 different ones each night. I believe in monitoring the air cells closely to know how to adjust my humidity. My last hatch was 13/16, so I don't personally believe candling lowers hatch rates. I also run dry incubation the first 17 days, but I use a cheaper LG forced air bator.

7. wacacta

Feb 19, 2015
    United Kingdom
    I'm a candling addict too, I have candled as early as day 3 or 4! I must resist though!I'm just too eager to know if there is anything going on in there.

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I usually check a couple out on day 3-4 too...lol God forgot to give me patience when he created me, so there is no hands off for me...lol As long as I am having good hatch rates I don't see that changing...lol

9. DanEP

DanEP Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2010
    Cadiz Ky
    I'm not saying that candling hurts the eggs It's just that by candling only twice I feel the eggs are incubating more consistently. It seems like some people are always messin with the eggs and I just have better luck leaving them alone. I do watch my humidity levels tho and will adjust if needed. One other benefit is I only have to wonder if I'm doing something wrong twice in stead of 10 - 12 times. Please don't misunderstand me I'm not saying that candling more often is wrong I'm just saying what works for me. I am lucky enough to have an incubator that performs well on it's own so I let it.

10. FHLH

FHLH Out Of The Brooder

Feb 19, 2015
    I candled mine yesterday at day 18. I'm new to this but this morning day 19 I have one that has pipped. Is this ok? I'm using a hova bator forced air.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by