Incubator running hotter on one side than the other.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by bobbi-j, Mar 26, 2012.

1. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    I have two aquarium thermometers in my incubator, plus the one that came with it. It's a little styrofoam one, with a plastic outer shell - I think they're new on the market (Pro Series, Model 4200). The one that came with it has read a steay 99.5* pretty much since I set my eggs on March 9. But it sits on top of the eggs, and I had read about the aquarium ones, so I bought two and put one on each side of the incubator, between eggs. They both read the same temp. (about 100*) for several days. Now yesterday, one read 102-104, the other held steady at 100. Thought maybe it was the thermometer, so I switched them. It still read hot on the one side. (My other thermometer was on that side, too, and was up to 101 so I moved that to the cooler side, and it dropped down to 99). So, last night I candled the eggs and the ones on the warmer side were farther developed, so I rotated them to the cool side, and the others to the warmer side. All this to say, I bumped the thermostat down some because I think it's best to have it run a little cooler than warmer and am looking for your opinions. I plan on calling the company today and asking if they will replace either the whole top of the incubator, or at least the heating element if it's easy to replace. My eggs should go into lockdown tomorrow night at 10:30, but due to the slower development may wait until Wed. late afternoon or evening. Any thoughts on that, too?

2. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I can guess that you have a still air bator? a fan may help distribute the warm air more evenly around the bator.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Actually, it does have a fan... Just went and checked and it's still working. Right now it's about 102/98. Lockdown is tomorrow, so I'm just going to ride it out and see what happens. I think I'll put as many of the eggs as I can (in cartons) on the cooler side or maybe closer to the middle when I lock them down.

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    I used an automatic egg turner with my Little Giant styrofoam incubator and noticed the exact same thing. My eggs seemed to hatch in two batches - one group was early and one was late. Each group had characteristics of high temps (early group) and low temps (late group). I believe it was because one group incubated at a high temperature and the other was a bit lower because of that turner. This reminds me to do a practice run with some infertile eggs to decide where to place my real eggs when I incubate next.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Thanks for the information. How was your hatch rate? The odd thing is, it was steady for two whole weeks! Now it seems to be at 101* on the warmer side, and 100* on the other. It will be interesting to see how it all turns out.

6. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    My hatch rate was about 50%. I went crazy with humidity and think I probably drowned most of my chicks in the eggs. We broke many open to find that they were completely developed. Very sad.

I'm hoping that I learned a lot with that hatch. I"ll be trying again in a few weeks with another batch of eggs from my flock.

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    If it's any consolation, I've hatched several batches over the years and was happy when I got a 50% hatch. I've learned alot since joining BYC, so hopefully things will improve. Sometimes when they don't hatch, they're just too weak and wouldn't have survived anyway. I hope your next batch turns out better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by