1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator screwing up humidity

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by LocoPollo, Nov 18, 2008.

1. LocoPollo

LocoPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    I have a rcom 20 pro and it is messing up my humidity atm. My first batch it had humidity at 45% up until day 18. Now it is running at 62% and I can't seem to get it down. Anyway, I just want to avoid the chicks not being able to peep when the time comes, or getting a snout full of water when they do. I was thinking to let the incubator go dry for a few days next week or just prior to day 18, then adding water again for the last days of hatching. I dont seem to be able to adjust the setting on the machine. Any suggestions?

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Take the water out and let the humidity drop now.

3. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've never used the r-com, but I was wondering if you can take some water out of it now? Maybe let it dry out a little sooner? I don't now much time it would take for them to dry out if they have water in the air cells.

4. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Quote:Thank you! I opened up the bator and one thing wrong is I apparently overfilled the water and there was water flooding the bottom of the bator. I cleaned that up and am going to let the humidity settle out for a few minutes, and then will empty it if that doesnt fix the problem. I can do a dry incubation until day 18? I assume that would be better? Thanks!

5. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    Humidity is now running 49-50 %. Is that ok.?

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I have never done a completely dry incubation. Mine usually stay between 27 - 40% - meaning when it gets below 30% I add water to the bator..

7. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    It is at 48 now. I think that was the problem. the incubator couldn't regulate because there was water in the basin. Now that part is drying out and it seems to be at a more moderate level. At least I know it was my fault and not a problem with the incubator. I will keep a keen eye on it today to make sure it stays at a better level.

8. LocoPollo

Aug 13, 2008
    Ellijay, GA
    It is settling back to the factory setting of 45%! Whew! thanks for your help!

9. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Good luck with your hatch!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by