Incubator set up, 1st time, what am I doing wrong?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mominoz, Apr 16, 2011.

1. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Got a new Hovabator 1602. Read directions. Tried my best. Put water in as directions said (lukewarm temp. Spent yesterday trying to get right temp. (Oh, and I searched BYC for info too). First it was reading 104. I moved the little temp thing up on something so it was about egg height.Turned lever thingie a couple of times half a turn clockwise to decrease, still too high this morning (in a spare room , not near a window or vent.) Hubby has a special 400$ meter probe he just stuck in to check the thermometer reading accuracy. So I didn't have the wing nut tightened at all, I just turned it counterclockwise a turn and a half, figuring after what I read on my search I had too much of the screw in(????[​IMG]) .... Then I tightened down the wing nut gently snug....[​IMG]....Just want to get the sucker stable:barnie...... Right now it's reading 93 after opening it about 15-20 minutes ago.....

2. jcfuente51

jcfuente51 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2011
    all i know is that you have to play with it for a while so u get to know your electric broddy... it toke me a week to set mine up with the tem and the hum and the water level in the pan so now im set i started with a 12 eggs and i candle on day 10 found 3 unfertil eggs and one with a blood ring the other ones looked diferent and way diferent than the pics here on candeling but im thinking they are doing good its been now day 12 and im not gonna candle again till i go loockdown these coming friday april 22 i hope it works well...

3. mominoz

mominoz Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2009
    North Georgia
    Ok, I shut it off.unplugged it and took the wafer off and put it back on again to try and "reset" it. Course it was warm and the water in it is warm. But it was only 92, so I figured I'd messed witht he srew turnie thing.[​IMG] I then tightened the wing nut snug after following the directions to just turn it till the light came on.......I have to go cut up and drag a tree off from storms so I will check it in a couple hours, .......[​IMG] I just learned it may only be 38 tonight and I have been storing my eggs in the crawl space in a carton, in a bag in a plastic bin in a corner.....because it is cool/there (been up to 82 here in georgia last week or so....)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by