Incubator smells like chlorine--did I screw up?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by iamcuriositycat, Sep 13, 2009.

1. iamcuriositycat

iamcuriositycat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    I cleaned the incubator and scrubbed and scrubbed and it stayed mucky looking... so I poured in some chlorox. Did I screw up? A day later, after drying thoroughly, I now have it warming for a batch of eggs, and it smells like chlorine. Uh oh?

It's a foam type, a Hovabator, if that helps. Thanks!

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Mine did, too. You should run it with the vent hole(s) open for a few hours to dissipate the chlorine smell.

3. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Gotcha! Thank you. I have been running it for a while, and the smell has dissipated considerably--though it's not completely gone. I'll just run it till it is. It's sort of a surprise batch of eggs, so I'm hoping to have everything stabilized either tonight or early tomorrow because I don't know exactly how old the eggs are.

Anyway, thank you VERY much. Helpful to know, and I'm glad I didn't ruin my incubator!

4. speckledhen

We always clean ours with bleach, a toothbrush, blazing hot water and then dry it in the sunshine. This time, I ran it most of yesterday and the smell was gone when my eggs went in today.

5. becky3086

becky3086 Crested Crazy

Oct 14, 2008
    Thomson, GA
    Won't make a bit of difference. I have always cleaned with bleach and it makes no difference if you put the eggs in it when it still smells or not.

6. speckledhen

Even if you can smell it, as Becky says, doesn't necessarily mean it will affect the eggs adversely. If it was a really strong bleach smell, then maybe I'd be hesitant. I just feel better when it's gone or barely detectable.

7. iamcuriositycat

Jul 30, 2009
    Charlotte, NC
    Thanks so much! The smell is barely there--have to really stick your nose in to smell it. Still, I'm waiting on the temps to stabilize, so I probably won't set tonight anyway. By tomorrow it should be good and clean.

Thank you SO much for the input!

8. speckledhen

Good luck!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by