1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator stinks

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jun 8, 2016.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    So yesterday I set about 32 eggs in an incubator my grandpa gave me. It was fine yesterday but today when I open it it stinks! It's not too bad, but it stinks. All the eggs are fresh, I started collecting last Thursday and kept them in a chilled room. I sniffed all the eggs and they all smell fine (apart from 2 eggs which weren't the cleanest but the eggs themselves are skill good.) I wiped down the incubator turner with a damp towel and vacuumed out the bottom tray when he gave it to me.

Should the eggs be fine in a stinky incubator? Or should I take the eggs out, quickly wipe the whole thing out with Clorox and put them back?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    What does it smell like?

I think styrofoam incubators hold onto odors more, and the heat ripens the smell.

3. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    It smells kinda rotten or like sour milk. Could it be residue from his last hatch 5 years ago? [​IMG] Should I clean it? I could take the eggs out in their turner and place a heating pad over them while I quickly clean it... What do you think?

Last edited: Jun 8, 2016
  4. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd say it had busted rotten eggs in it before. The foam incubator to absorb the odor. Depending on how long the bad eggs were in it last time. The smell may or may not go away.

5. AtlantisPeeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    So should I clean it?

6. Gray Farms

Gray Farms Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2016
    NW Missouri
    I'd run it for another day to let the humidity get up and draw the smell out of the foam. Then clean it good, with hot water

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by