Incubator Stuff

merrymutts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Ft Leonard Woood, Missouri
I wasn't quite sure how to title this thread….

I'd been having ongoing issues with my HHD 48 egg incubator. Hubs bought it for me 3 years ago and while I still have the manual...I turned to You Tube to see if I could find more hints to making this thing maintain constant temperature and other settings.

Found quite a few good videos... so here goes....

A couple of videos stated that to help an incubator maintain the correct temperature , you should keep it in the Styrofoam "shell" that was in the shipping box....interesting...

I do not recall this being part of the set-up/maintenance instructions and it's not stated in the manual...so I wonder if this is just a hint that others with the same incubator discovered on their own and just passed the info along ?

So, I cleaned and disinfected my HHD , cut down a large cardboard box to slide the incubator in and stuffed the spaced between the incubator with bubble wrap. Obviously did not have the original Styrofoam "shell". Filled the reservoirs with water and plugged it in and set my operating temps.

Well.... I'll be dipped... not only did I get the correct incubating temperature and humidity...but it's maintaining these correct readings...so there might be something to this idea.

We keep our house rather cool...probably cooler than most of you all do, even in the winter time, so it's entirely possible that with the plastic incubator being exposed to the cooler house temps kept it from attaining and maintaining the correct temperatures

I have not yet set any new eggs in the incubator as of yet. I want to first see if it continues to maintain the temperature and humidity levels that I want...plus I just ordered some neat Bielefelder hatching eggs and they'll be here next week I want to get them setting the day after they arrive.

Here it is now... temps has been holding at 38.1 C all day now and the humidity is 65 %.
DSC_0002.JPG

It makes sense to me. My incubator was accidentally pushed against an outside wall and it was cold over night. My incubator was a full degree F cooler than it should have been. Moved it, temp went back to normal.

Back
Top Bottom