Incubator suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by thejaxx, Jan 31, 2017.

1. thejaxx

thejaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Tukwila, WA
    A few years ago I had bought a EXO Terra all glass enclosure for a gecko I was going to get. Never did.

So I was just toying with the idea of turning it into an incubator and wanted to see what I would need to do (besides heat, water, etc) to make it a successful nest. Reason being I've lost three yearlings in the last four months. One to a raccoon that got into coop, one to a hawk, and another to egg block.

It's 12 x 12 x 12 and is pictured below with the link for a description.

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000OAVN0W/ref=twister_B005661P48?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks in advance.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Do you have the light top?

https://www.amazon.com/Exo-Terra-Co...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=W0DM9FXC35R0YFG0D0A4

The first step, I think, would be to see if you can get it to attain and hold the correct temps. I think a lot of heat will be lost since it is glass sides, but if you don't mind wasting electricity it's possible. People do use old coolers like you see in gas stations, with the glass fronts, but those are insulated and designed to maintain temps.

3. thejaxx

thejaxx Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    Tukwila, WA
    I do have a bunch of styrofoam, so I could wrap it except front. I do have that light, bit it doesn't heat up to 100, and it wouldn't maintain it if it did.

4. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD

Ah I see is 26W max.

Honestly, those terrariums are pretty nice and not cheap so I hate for you to hack it up to install heat and a fan.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by