incubator temp. & humidity help!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rebel yell, Aug 22, 2010.

1. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    got my homemade incubator running & temp, is between 98- 101 humidity 50-55 is the temp. going to be ok here? this is the best i can get out of it. what do i need to do?

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  2. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    will someone out there please give me a sugestion, dont know if my temp. is going to cut it please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. The Lisser

The Lisser Chillin' With My Peeps

I am new to incubators too so I don't know if I'll be able to help. Do you have a thermostat in your incubator? If so, is it a hot water heater thermostat? I have read on here that they have a pretty wide range (5 to 7 degrees - that's what my hubby says he's an engineer).

Here's a link to a page on BYC about modifying a thermostat - haven't tried it myself:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=26580-thermostat-modification

Hubby says that Lowes' carries a heater thermostat, and it would probably be around $20 - it has a much smaller range (he says about 4 degrees), and would keep the temps more steady. He says it has to be one made to switch a load - made to control something big.

Good luck!

Melissa

4. BigDaddy'sGurl

BigDaddy'sGurl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    Wilkesboro NC
    First off I am no expert but I would think that range is ok. My incubator runs around 99-101 degrees and my last hatch was 80 %. Humidity is perfect at 45-55% until lockdown then increase it to around 70% is what I do. What you need to make sure of is that you are measuring temps at the top of the egg level. And that all eggs are getting the same amount of heat. What I used to do with homemade incubators is to actually install the light above the eggs so the heat was more consistent as opposed to the side where there would be eggs staying warmer than others. OR, just make sure to rotate their location whenever you turn. If your temp is staying more towards 98 you will probably have a slightly delayed hatch. Someone once told me that you add a day to incubation for each degree low your heat was. Don't know if it is actually true but it has proved accurate for me before. Good luck! I have duck eggs in mine now and am terrified...never hatched ducks before... I'm a newbie too, at least with ducks!

5. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    thanks for the help, think im going to leve them alone, my light & fan is in the top of it like the hova bator is made, & im useing a waffer thermostat mabe everything will be ok, good luck to you too.

6. aprophet

aprophet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2010
    chesapeake Va.
    Quote:I have been hatching quail eggs all summer with the same setup you have . here to good hatching vibes for your first hatch
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. rebel yell

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    thanks for your help!!!!!!!!!!!!

8. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    BigDaddy'sGurl :

First off I am no expert but I would think that range is ok. My incubator runs around 99-101 degrees and my last hatch was 80 %. Humidity is perfect at 45-55% until lockdown then increase it to around 70% is what I do. What you need to make sure of is that you are measuring temps at the top of the egg level. And that all eggs are getting the same amount of heat. What I used to do with homemade incubators is to actually install the light above the eggs so the heat was more consistent as opposed to the side where there would be eggs staying warmer than others. OR, just make sure to rotate their location whenever you turn. If your temp is staying more towards 98 you will probably have a slightly delayed hatch. Someone once told me that you add a day to incubation for each degree low your heat was. Don't know if it is actually true but it has proved accurate for me before. Good luck! I have duck eggs in mine now and am terrified...never hatched ducks before... I'm a newbie too, at least with ducks!

80% is little high.. if you experience drowning, lower the humidity to 65-70%.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by