Incubator temp off. I think.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by woolymammoth, Dec 28, 2014.

1. woolymammoth

woolymammoth Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2014
    I got the hova bator starter kit and put eggs from my hens in. Yesterday was day 7 and I candeled them. 38 out of 41 are going good. I added a thermometer to check the incubators accuracy. Incubator is reading 99.9-100.1. The thermometer I placed is reading 104. Which do I believe. The thermometer is cheap so I want to believe the incubator. Any help or thoughts would bee appreciated

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    Calibrate the new thermometer, then pop it back in and see what it says :)

3. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    I'm headed to Walmart. To get thermometers and hygrometers going to make sure temp and humidity are right

4. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    Any suggestions for brands

5. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    If you want a really accurate thermometer, don't get one from Walmart. Anything you get from there will need to be calibrated as well, and if you're going to do that, you might as well just calibrate the one you've already got. If you must buy another, get one of the simple, under the tongue jobbies. I used a candy thermometer for a long time, and had great hatches with it.

If you're looking for something very accurate, go for a Brisnea Spot Check. I don't have one myself (yet), but other BYC members swear by them. You'd have to order one online, which would mean a wait, and they're not real cheap either (a little more than $20 if I'm remembering correctly).

Calibrating your thermometers is super easy. Make some slush out of ice and water in a Ziplock baggie. Pop your thermometer inside. It should go down to 32F. If it doesn't, that's how much your thermometer is off. You'll just have to keep the difference in mind while adjusting/checking your temps.

2 people like this.
  6. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    Thanks. I bought 2 of the digital thermometer/hygrometers and put them inside. Bought a small cheap porch thermometer. And a children's thermometer. The digitals are catching up right now but the porch one and the childrens is pretty spot on. The incubator thermometer reads 1.1 degree cooler than it actually is(I've done it about 10 times.)

7. woolymammoth

Jul 3, 2014
    I now have the temperature under control. The incubator hygrometer reads 52% humidity and the ones I purchased read 60 and 62. Where do I go from here

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by