Incubator temp problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by sarahb19243, Feb 14, 2016.

1. sarahb19243

sarahb19243 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 5, 2015
    I can't get my incubator temperature to be 101. It is either too high or low. Right now it's reading 102, but then if I try and adjust it a hair it goes down to 100. I have a Hova Bator 1602n, still air. I'm trying to hatch around 18 chicken eggs, and they have been in the bator for about three days now. I have the thermometer that came with it in with the eggs and a digital acurite thermometer. They both are reading slightly different temps, the one that came with the incubator is reading slightly over 102, and the digital one says its at 102 steady. Not sure if my temps are too high or since this is my first hatch Im just obsessing. There should be a picture available of what the thermometers are reading. Thanks!!
    [​IMG]

2. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Still air temps are best between 101-102, 101.5 being a good goal, so if you can keep it right around 102, I wouldn't worry too much. Above 103, then I'd try to tweak it down. I have an LG9200 with fan and I am just happy if I can keep it under 102 and above 99.5. lol The digital doesn't read to the tenths right? So it's hard to know how close to 103. But I would hold it at 102 and I don't know how the vents are on the Hovabators, but if there is a vent I'd open one and see if it brings it down slightly so it's under 102 but over 101. I run mine with vents open from day one. Another possibility is run it at 100 with a lamp/light on beside the bator and see if the extra heat from the light will up it slightly.

3. sarahb19243

Apr 5, 2015

No my digital doesn't read to the tenths.. I'm gonna see if I can find one that does though! And thank you for the lamp/light beside the incubator idea, I'm gonna have to try that.

1 person likes this.
  4. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Last year we had a cool period during one of my hatches and at night I was having a problem with looseing a couple degrees so I turned my brooder light on and aimed it toward the bator and it kept it where I wanted it for the cooler night hours. [​IMG]

5. aspenarms

aspenarms Out Of The Brooder

It's my first time having anything to do with chickens and I decided to start from the beginning. I have 2 incubators, one still air with a heating element and thermostat, the other a homemade Styrofoam one with a light bulb on a dimmer and a computer fan. I've been hand turning the eggs 5 tmes a day. Maybe that's too often cause the temps are fluctuating. The humidity has been between 30 & 50% in both. Today the power went off. I didn't notice and the temp went down to 95°. How long can they go at a low temp without damage? They are on day 5.

6. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    I hand turn. On the average I turn 3 times a day, sometimes I get in 5 times, depends on how early I get that first turn in....lol If you are turning at least 3 times a day, you should be good.

My first hatch I had (unknowingly) a bad thermometer. I thought my incubator was holding 99-100 and found out after the hatch when I had one out of 17 survivors that my termoemter was 6 degrees off and the whole time my bator was only 93/94.

What I am trying to say is 95 for a few hours should not have that large of an effect. You may see a slight delay in hatching, but I doubt it if it was just a few hours. Mine went the whole incubation (plus 3 days) at a low temp and I still had one that survived. You have a higher risk of damage if the temps are too high for hours than too low. I would try to keep humidity at the lower end of 30% versus 50% and monitor air cells if you are not in a high elevation. I use this method to great success: http://letsraisechickens.weebly.com...anuals-understanding-and-controlling-humidity

I would candle day 7 and check them. You should see growth by then. There's a great thread on here with candling pics: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/...g-candling-pics-progression-though-incubation

Good luck on the hatch. Hope you keep us updated.

1 person likes this.
  7. sarahb19243

Apr 5, 2015

I got a thermometer that reads to the tenth. It's slightly different from my bigger acurite thermometer that's also in the bator. Not sure which one I should go by, the bigger acurite is reading 100 constantly and the new one is reading 101.7 - 102

8. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If you have a glass/mercury thermometer I would check that with the ice water test and you'll know accuracy and can check all others against it. If not I would go by the thermometers that go to the tenths because my understanding is tthermometers that go to the degree, don't change until/unless the temp raises on whole degree. so it could be reading 100 but be closer to 101. If it was a couple tenths off that could put it over 101. Either way the temps are decent. You want it between 101-102. Even at 100 it would not compromise the hatch, if anything it might delay it a day-if that. In my opinion, you are in a good range. I have a forced air-Little Giant 9200 model. I'm happy if the thing stays above 99 and below 101.5 lol

9. sarahb19243

Apr 5, 2015
    Ok, thank you for all the info/advice! I appreciate it!

10. AmyLynn2374

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Any time! Hope they all hatch for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by