1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator temp problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jnjmanning, Mar 12, 2013.

1. jnjmanning

jnjmanning Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    I set my eggs on 2/16, hatch day was 3/9. On day 18 when I removed the eggs from the turner, my temp dropped. It took 3 days of constant adjusting to get it back up to 99.5. It is in a very cool basement, and the only way I can keep a constant temp now is to keep a towel on the bator. Temp is now staying between 98-99.5 I saw movement in my one white egg on Sunday. Should I get the temp up a little higher? Do I have any chance of a hatch? This is day 24!

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    Candle to check for internal pips and tap the eggs if you don't see anything when candling. Hold the eggs against your ear and tap them with your fingernail. You should hear the chick respond if it's alive. If you don't get a response and don't see the beak in the air sac you can make a small hole in the fat end of the egg, above the air sac line. Wet the membrane with a Q-tip and check for movement from the chick. If it's alive put it back in the incubator with the humidity up and read: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

Good luck!

3. jnjmanning

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    Thanks, nothing was alive. Going to reset hopefully tonight. I do have another question. I have a hovabator 1602N and egg turner. When I put my thermostat in should the temp be the same at top of egg as it is laying on top of turner?

4. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I'm sorry to hear that [​IMG]
    If it's a still air incubator you measure the temperature at the top of the eggs. It should be 101*F. In a forced air incubator the temperature should be 99*F overall in the 'bator.

5. jnjmanning

May 31, 2012
    Sullivan Missouri
    Thanks Thanks!!!!!! Its no wonder they didnt make it, temp started running 90-92 at top of eggs. Mine says thermal air so I assume its a still air. Getting it up to 101 now!

6. seventreesfarm

seventreesfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 14, 2012
    Everson, WA
    I have a forced air foam bator and it still has warm & cool spots. I have 4 thermometers if different areas and have moved them around to double-chick, and even with the fan on it's tough to get a steady temp.

Good luck on your next try [​IMG]

7. sumi

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    A still air incubator hasn't got a fan in and a forced air incubator does. I'm not familiar with the model you are using, sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by