Incubator Temp - Regulating Sex of Birds

Gatekeeper

Songster
11 Years
Apr 24, 2008
Louisiana
First of all let me say this is a great site. I am a Newbie to BYC *My son asked me if this was the Boston Yacht Club*.

I have raised poultry and game birds for fun; off and on for years. I now have some time and the space to once again jump into the hobby.

I have two questions:

1) - I once read some time ago about lowering the temp when incubating alligators - that it produces more females than male 'gators. Has anyone heard of such a thing with fowl? I never liked 55% roosters and 45% hens ... a true waste of feed, time and effort.

2) - Where on this site can I find hatching eggs to incubate? My wife has been pestering me to find her some Silver Seabrights.

Thank you so very much for any contributions you may make to this posting.

Gate

Last edited:
Welcome to BYC.

The temp adjustment to sex only works in amphibians. Not chickens. That would be too easy.

Look in the Buy/Sell/Trade section or post a listing for the eggs you might be interested in.

Why Ms Prissy *pinches cheek* I can see why that Chicken Hawk Foghorn Leghorn thinks you are the "Bees Knees"

Yes it would be so simple if it worked that way - oh well ...

Gate

It works with reptiles, amphibians and fish becasue their sex is determined hormonally, where as bird sexes are determined by sex chromosomes (like us). All male birds are (ZZ) so 100% of the sperm has a Z chromosome. Females are (ZW) so they produce one half Z eggs and one half W eggs. If a sperm fertilizes a Z egg you get a rooster. If it fertilizes a W egg you get a hen.

I've not heard of the 45/55 ratio. Perhaps there is a lethal allelle attched to the W chromosome which results in fewer female eggs hatching.

I do not think lowering the temp. will make more females. I know that it is true for alligators. I wish it was true for chickens.

Second, I sell Purebred Silver Seabright eggs. You can order 6 for $6.00 or 9 for $9.00 Shipping is $9.53

You can order them through my website using PayPal, either with your paypal account or credit card.

http://www.freewebs.com/sundownwaterfowl/

Chelsea

Maybe you can borrow a sperm centrifuge from a fertility doctor to spin the rooster sperm and inseminate your hens. Not sure how you'd catch it though.
lau.gif

In humans you increase your chance of a girl when you spin the sperm because they are stronger. How long does rooster sperm live after mating? Maybe early mating and then seperation of the hen might have the same effect as it does in humans? Those weak male sperms can't hack it too long. If you could figure out a hen's laying cycle maybe you could do it? It might be a fun experiment at least.
big_smile.png

It is evident that I have died and gone to heaven. This must be my final resting place. *True Southern Drawl* I say BOY!! Ya'll are too funnnnyyy.

I think I'll quit my day job just post here with all my new fine feathered fiends. I mean FRIENDS.

Gate

Back
Top Bottom