1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator temp swings - HELP please

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by tball chicky, Oct 21, 2011.

1. tball chicky

tball chicky Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2011
    Safford, AZ
    I have a DIY Incubator made from a small refrigerator. Everything is wired correctly and it is up & running. HOWEVER, my temps are ridiculous...everything & anything between 90 & 120. I am using a household thermostat (DH had one lying around) to regulate temps...any advice on how to minimize the swings would be greatly appreciated!!!

Thanks

2. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    can you show a picture of it?

3. Southernbelle

Southernbelle Gone Broody

Mar 17, 2008
    Virginia
    I found a "heat sink" helped a lot to minimize swings. You can either use rocks or containers of water and place them in the incubator, they'll absorb the heat when the heat source is on and dissipate slowly when the heat source is off and it'll help keep the temp swings more regular. I used Tupperware containers and/or Mason jars filled with water.

4. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Heats sinks can be helpful; mostly once the air temp is controlled to the desired temp. SO unfortunately, heat sinks cannot help with the huge swings you are experiencing. I'm sorry I don't have experience with the devise you have used; I used a WHT with great success at temp control.

Once the temps are dead on, heat sinks are helpful to protect against sudden unexpected swings in temp due to change in room temp or sudden loss of power. I use 4 and 10 quart sized jars in my 2 incubators.

5. Floridachicken1958

Floridachicken1958 Lost but not forgotten

Jun 10, 2011
    CENTRAL FLORIDA
    I got a mini fridge and I have a wafer thermostat in there and it stays right on 99.5.I mean the lights stay on no more than 3 seconds.It holds temp & humidity perfectly.

6. Arielle

Arielle Chicken Obsessed

Feb 19, 2011
    Massachusetts, USA
    Where is your thermostat located? Usually, a WHT is placee VERY close to the heat source for a quick on-quick off cycle, the net result is a narrow temp change AND held at the perfect 99.5 or 100 degrees. In reality it takes trial and error placement to acheive this goal.

You may need to use a different sized light bulb.
    Re orient your fan-- a fan is a must to blow on the fan.

Sometimes, using 2 bulbs works better; one always on, the second on the on/off cycle.

WHen you are close to fine tuning, you need to have some ventilation holes to help moderate the last degree, half a degree shift in temperature. Do you have ventilation holes? if your refrig is a typical metal sheeting construction, are you able to have vent holes??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by