Incubator Temperature drop ???

merrymutts

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2016
Ft Leonard Woood, Missouri
Reset my HHD Incubator 4 days ago to an acceptable incubation range and for the past couple of days, it has held a temp of 38.0-38.1C and humidity at 62-65 %

Looked at it just a few minutes ago and the temp has DROPPED to 34.2 C ??

WTH ??? No one has messed with it...not even to lift the lid ( has no eggs in it right now ) … has not had anything else change in the house … so cannot figure out WHY this drastic change in internal temperature. On the Fahrenheit side this would be a drop of almost 6 degrees .

How would this affect the development of any eggs inside ??

Guess the incubator is shot...the thermometer placed inside the incubator registered about the same temp as the control panel so I just shut it off.

Luckily I did order a new incubator, which should arrive tomorrow...because I have hatching eggs due on Monday.

Well it is good there were no eggs in it.
Cell division will still happen at 34C but more than a day at that temperature will cause disproportional development of some organs.
Is your old incubator worth fixing?

Threw a couple bath towels on top and temp is back to normal and holding. Should get new incubator today and will set up soon as we get it home. I have some Bielefelder eggs waiting to incubate plus a couple from my own hens. I will split them up between the two incubators and do the sign of the cross that we get a hatch.

I have some old 1200 series GQF incubators in a room on the top floor. The furnace died on that floor and it got quite cold. I turned the incubator control up all the way and it still wasn't warm enough. I covered the incubator with a big bath towel and it came up to temperature.

Well it is good there were no eggs in it.
Cell division will still happen at 34C but more than a day at that temperature will cause disproportional development of some organs.
Is your old incubator worth fixing?

So how can a hen go off and lay a clutch of eggs over a nearly 2 week period in the summer before she sets the nest for 3 weeks and not only hatch healthy chicks but successfully hatch most if not all the eggs laid?

Back
Top Bottom