Incubator Temperature Dropped

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BYounce, Mar 30, 2015.

1. BYounce

BYounce Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Hello I am new to this,so any help would be greatly appreciated. I am on day 4 of incubation, and my temp has been fairly steady between 98 - 101 but when I got up this morning my temp dropped down to 93! Will my eggs be okay and how low can the temp be while incubating? Thank you in advance for any response.

2. Ryoohkey

Ryoohkey Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2013
    They will be fine so long as its not for longer than 4 hrs imo my incubator does that from time to time and sometimes it jumps to 106-108 and i still have a very good hatch

1 person likes this.
  3. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    Chances are very high that they will be just fine. My very first hatch I (unknowingly of course) had bought a brand new thermometer and never checked it, until after my failed hatch. I ended up with two hatchers day 24&25 and only the day 24 survived. When I checked the thermometer it was 6 degrees off, so my whole incubation the temps averaged 93-94. So if I can get one chick at that temp for the whole incubation, I think you'll be just fine. Low teps are better than high temps..BUT if they are low for an extended amount of time it can cause delayed hatches. People have been w/o electricity for hours and still have had fairly decent hatches. Wish you lots of luck!

1 person likes this.
  4. BYounce

BYounce Out Of The Brooder

Mar 30, 2015
    Wrangell, Alaska
    Thank you for the reply, since this is my first hatching I was concerned on exactly how low can the temp actually be and the chicks still being okay. Will post again with news of success or fail. Thanks again, Billie.

5. kellyroberts01

kellyroberts01 Out Of The Brooder

May 10, 2015
    Billie, what was the outcome of your hatch with low temps??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by