1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator Temperature Dropping= One stressed out teacher

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by katiebeth8289, May 3, 2017.

1. katiebeth8289

katiebeth8289 Just Hatched

May 3, 2017
    I am hatching chicken eggs in my classroom and am on day 19. I was out yesterday due to being sick and when I came in this morning my thermometer read 89. One of my students had to turn down the dial. AHHH! I freaked because these chicks are growing my flock and I was so excited. I am not sure how long they were at this temperature. Maybe 12-24 hrs. SOOO what are my chances of them making it? I have an egg candler but wanted them to get back to temp before even moving them. I also have to take out the egg turner today. EK!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    At that stage, don’t give up hope. The chicks generate a lot of heat on their own so they may be OK. It’s obviously not a good thing, but I’ve had eggs hatch after a broody hen went back to the wrong nest and let the eggs cool off so they were very cold to the touch. I got 11 out of 11 that time.

So go ahead with lockdown and see what happens. I know it’s a lot of pressure with the kids but good luck!

3. katiebeth8289

May 3, 2017
    Eight hatched today!!!! Yay! [​IMG]

4. katiebeth8289

May 3, 2017
    Out of 9

5. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas