Incubator temperature not consistent

AfroditaVita

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2021
I need help, I'm not sure what happened or what I did wrong but I have my eggs in the incubator for three days, I have 48eggs(I have paid over 70€ for them...) and they still have lots of space. I had the incubator on for around 48hours before I added the eggs so I could set the temperature and see if everything works, and it did I set the temperature to around 37.5°c. Today however I noticed that the temperature was a bit off through the day so I decided to move the thermometer and when I checked it about 20mins later it showed over 40°c so I panicked and set the temperature lower and also added another thermometer. I had it first underneath the roller and now it's on top.
What should I do now? Have I killed off the eggs?

As above states a lot is missing from this equation.

Still air or fan incubator?
Where is the thermometer now in relation to height of eggs and what is it reading?
Was the thermometer ever checked for accuracy?

You can calibrate a thermometer by comparing it to an oral. Oral thermometers are as accurate as you can get without purchasing lab quality.

What model us your incubator?do you have a separate calibrated thermometer and hydrometer?
It's called Brutmashine modell 3000, I have a calibrated termometer but I do not have a hydrometer.
As above states a lot is missing from this equation.

Still air or fan incubator?
Where is the thermometer now in relation to height of eggs and what is it reading?
Was the thermometer ever checked for accuracy?

You can calibrate a thermometer by comparing it to an oral. Oral thermometers are as accurate as you can get without purchasing lab quality.
Still air, one is on top of the eggs reading at 38°c one is underneath them and is a bit under 38°c. It was checked and was doing fine.

You'll know the 7th day if they survived the temperature spike. Candle them day 7. Some may be hard to see into and can wait until day 10 but candling day 7 will tell you if some survived or if you need to restart.

As you know the heat is in layers in a still air incubator. You are correct in 38 C at the top level of eggs. Which could be 37 C at bottom level of eggs. The inside of egg takes an average.

Back
Top Bottom