1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Incubator Temperature

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lruiz5936, Mar 5, 2012.

1. lruiz5936

lruiz5936 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    I have some a total of 32 eggs in an incubator, they were placed in there at different times in three groups. The first clutch of eggs are to be stopped turning tonight. When I left for work today the temp was 102.4 and when I returned home it was 94.0. I was gone for approximately ten hours. Is this going to ruin the eggs? I went ahead and stopped turning the first clutch of eggs hopefully they hatch. Any help is appreciated

2. The Chickeneer

The Chickeneer ~A Morning's Crow~

The eggs will hatch later/slower because of the temp. fluctuations, but it shouldn't do much harm. They'l be alright, but on a separate note........

the last three days of hatch, you stop turning them and you have to raise the humidity. I'ts best to have a separate incubator used as a hatcher when your doing staggard hatches like that. Because if you have the hatching ones in the same 'bator with the still developing ones, raising the humidity will jeperdize your other eggs that are not yet hatching. So you must have the hatching eggs in a different enviornment with higher humidity, and leave them untouched until most or all the eggs hatch. Good luck![​IMG]

3. lruiz5936

lruiz5936 New Egg

Feb 23, 2012
    Thank you, I was worried that the temp dropping that low would kill them. I do have a seperate incubator for hatching, the groups are a week apart. I've also placed two small sponges in the hatching incubator to increase humidity.

4. Squawkbox

Squawkbox Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 25, 2011
    They'll be fine. I was gone for 12+ hours on day 16 or 17 and I came home and my thermometer was reading 89 at the top of the eggs (still air). I candled and all were alive.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by