1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

incubator temps and thermometers---newbie here

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by walkerbrens, Apr 5, 2017.

1. walkerbrens

walkerbrens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    This is going to be my first try at incubating eggs. I have ordered eggs and have them resting after shipping as indicated. I have read over the forum backwards and forwards. I purchased the Brinsea Mini Advanced incubator and am all set with it up and running for a full check before the eggs go in. Temperatures and thermometers seem to be the problem. I have even contacted Brinsea and they assured me the machine was calibrated at the factory. I ordered Brinsea's Spot temp checker. and an avian thermometer with humdity gauge. My problem is that the Mini Advanced Temp gauge says 99.5, The avian thermometer registers 97.8 (I figure this is off) and the Brinsea Spot Check registers 99.7. I guess I need to ask how close to 99.5 do I need to be and how in the world do you ever figure out what is your true temperature in the incubator. Thank you in advance for any help, Bren [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Dark Sider Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    99.7 or 99.5 is fine, so you don't have to worry too much. I'd think the spot check is probably the more accurate between it and the incubator, but you can just let it be where it is now and the eggs will be fine :)

3. walkerbrens

walkerbrens Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2012
    Thank you so much.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by