Incubator tempurature fluctuations, wafer technical questions*UPDATE*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by VioletBlueIvy, Aug 3, 2010.

1. VioletBlueIvy

VioletBlueIvy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2010
    Hi,
    I have posted about fluctuating temps in my incubator. I have been corresponding with the company, this is the last email they sent me and I dont exactly understand what they are talking about [​IMG]
    Most store bought indoor outdoor thermometers are wildly inaccurate. Unless it is an expensive scientific model, we would not rely on its readings. The temp is going to fluctuate as the heat element cycles on and off, but the eggs see an average of those temperatures inside where the embryo is located. The insulation provided by the egg is better emulated by the thermometer provided with the incubator. If that thermometer is reading 101 or higher, back it off a touch and let it settle. The temperature is going to swing whenever you add water for humidity so just be prepared for it. Use the hatch results to best determine what changes may be needed in the future. If the eggs hatch early, temp was too high, late, too low. There does not seem to be a mechanical issue because when parts like the thermostat switch start to fail the temperature swings are much larger, however, you might check the thermostat screw and wafer for proper alignment. If the wafer is at a significant angle to the switch, this could cause problems when setting the temperature.
    Here is what I do know...

I know what the wafer is [​IMG] (no laughing!)
    I know which direction to turn the screw to increase and decrease the temp.
    I also did some looking around on here and learned that the way it works is the wafer expands when it warms up and hits the switch to turn the heat off and contracts as it cools down to turn it back on again.... ( but I dont know where the switch is)

I also read that when you install it you tighten it all the way up and then unscrew it four turns and start there. SO I was thinking maybe when it was put away someone loosened or tightened the screw out of those specs? Is that what they mean?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2010
  2. stifflej

stifflej Out Of The Brooder

Aug 12, 2008
    I just got a new incubator as well, sounds like the same setup. if you look at the wafer, there is a switch on the under side of it...you do not turn the wafer until it is screwed in, you turn it until you hear a little "click". This click is the switch turning off. Then you back it off 4 turns. I made the same mistake, and it seems that if you turn it to far to where the switch should never turn on, it seems to always run (our temps when trying to settle it and set it hit 108, and the heat should have never turned one...) Hope that helps.

3. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Thank you!
    That helps [​IMG] I wasn't sure where the switch is so that is very helpful.

4. VioletBlueIvy

Jan 29, 2010
    Update!
    I figured out the problem, I wanted to post it in case it happens to anyone else, I had a very hard time getting any answers and it was soooo simple!!!!
    At some point after the last batch was out of the incubator, and the time I took it out of the box to incubate this batch, the screw for adjusting the temperature had been turned down until the wafer was WAY out of position. So I followed the instructions provided above, heard the click and have started over adjusting the temperature from scratch. Just something to check when you are getting it set up! I dont know how it happened but it has seriously put a kink in this whole process!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by