Incubator tems......... ugh

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Dec 14, 2010.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Hey There,

Ok, incubator whoas......... I have duck eggs in my incubator. The temps have been good until I found the temps at 106. I don't think it was for very long and I brought the temps down right away. It happened again and this time I don't know for how long. I'm guessing this is caused by the water getting low. I will have to keep a better eye on that. I'm hoping nothing will happen but is there an amount of time say 8 hours of 106 where the eggs are no good for hatching anymore? I'm just tossing out a hourly number I couldn't tell you if mine were hot for that long. This is only day 4. Obviously I have to check the water every 2 days. That's a big duhhhhh on my part.

2. Julie08

Julie08 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    Ontario, Canada
    They still should be okay give them until day 10 and candle them......... what kind of ducks are you going to hatch?

3. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Had mine spike on some of the batch that is in there right now to 107 while I was gone for 4 hours one night. All of the eggs are still growing along fine. I had 6 I thought it killed but checked them last night and they are furthur along than they were on day 10 candle! There is hope.[​IMG]

4. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Thank you, I'm sure they will be fine. I'm hatching Indian Runner ducks that are fawn and white. I've never candled before so I guess that will be yet another project for me to create.

5. minihorse927

minihorse927 Whipper snapper Premium Member

Nov 3, 2010
    Best thing I ever found for candling that is fairly affordable or most people have them in their house already is a spotlight. The one I have is a 1 million candlepower. Cut a piece of thick cardboard to cover the whole round part of the light and then a small hole in the center for the egg to sit on. I can see through anything with that light!

Last edited: Dec 14, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by