Incubator thermostat and temp probe give conflicting info

cooha939

Hatching
Oct 10, 2016
This is my second year using a Janoel 12 incubator. Last year I used the incubator settings indicated in the (very difficult to decipher) manual and hatched 2/6 shipped eggs. The fact that the eggs were shipped and a period of nearly a week when I forgot to top up the water/humidity likely contributed to my low hatch rate. This year, I bought a separate temp/humidity probe (~$30 ExoTerra brand intended for reptile cages) to keep better tabs on the humidity, but it is giving me very different temperature readings than the Janoel thermostat. I originally had the incubator thermostat set at 38 degrees C, but the ExoTerra probe was reading above 39. I then adjusted the thermostat to 37.5, but the temp probe is still giving me readings between 38.0 and 38.4. Does any body have experience with either of these two methods of monitoring temperature who could give me some guidance as to which thermometer I should trust?

This is my second year using a Janoel 12 incubator. Last year I used the incubator settings indicated in the (very difficult to decipher) manual and hatched 2/6 shipped eggs. The fact that the eggs were shipped and a period of nearly a week when I forgot to top up the water/humidity likely contributed to my low hatch rate. This year, I bought a separate temp/humidity probe (~$30 ExoTerra brand intended for reptile cages) to keep better tabs on the humidity, but it is giving me very different temperature readings than the Janoel thermostat. I originally had the incubator thermostat set at 38 degrees C, but the ExoTerra probe was reading above 39. I then adjusted the thermostat to 37.5, but the temp probe is still giving me readings between 38.0 and 38.4. Does any body have experience with either of these two methods of monitoring temperature who could give me some guidance as to which thermometer I should trust?
I let the eggs tell me if the thermometer is correct or not. If I had to start over I would go to wal-marts and buy 3 accurate temp/humidity meters----put all 3 together in the warmed up incubator---then take/keep the one that reads in the middle and carry the other two back if I did not need them. I then hatch a load of eggs making sure I got the CORRECT hatch date wrote down. If the eggs hatch on time----then this thermometer is pretty accurate, if late or early I then I make a note of that and next hatch I adjust the temp inside the incubator what I think its off. When this load hatches If its on time---I permanently mark this thermometer to what the temp was for that hatch and make sure its on that temp for future hatched. I have high dollar thermometers but not any I would want to stick in the humid incubator. This method I described works great for me---then If I need other thermometers for more incubators I can lay them beside this one in the incubator at the right temp wrote of the first one---then a little later I read the next one and write on it what it reads and that's what I would set the temp in the next incubator.
Chicken eggs should start piping on day 20 and all good ones hatched by late day 21.

Hello. I'm new at this as well. I have 4 duck eggs on day 30. I hear chirping but no pipping. I hear tapping like its trying. What should the humidity be? Im a nervous wreck.

Hello. I'm new at this as well. I have 4 duck eggs on day 30. I hear chirping but no pipping. I hear tapping like its trying. What should the humidity be? Im a nervous wreck.

Ducks can take a longer time to progress between the stages than chickens, (and chickens can take 24 hours +) so don't freak. You humidity should be at least 65%. I prefer 70-75% for hatch. What breed of ducks are they?

I have pekins, rouens and cauga. I just looked and I see a crack. It is chirping away. Im nervous. ...

I have pekins, rouens and cauga. I just looked and I see a crack. It is chirping away. Im nervous. ...

They are all 28 day incubation breeds right? That's a very good sign. However, you may not see progression for another 24-48 hours, so be prepared to be nervous for a long while.
1f609.png

Yes, 28 day. Ok I'm in for the long haul. Is there a point I should start worrying? Thank you for the help.

Yes, 28 day. Ok I'm in for the long haul. Is there a point I should start worrying? Thank you for the help.

Not for 24 hours at least. If you feel yourself getting too anxious, before you do anything, jump on over here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help We have some good duck hatchers that love to help and will talk you through what you need to do and guide you on the when to do it as well. Or just come over and introduce yourself and get to know some of them.
1f642.png

I am having the very same problem 37.5 on jn12 and 38.02 on probe

Back
Top Bottom